You don’t need glass slippers to be Cinderella | Teen Ink

You don’t need glass slippers to be Cinderella

I used to act like my life was perfect, like I didn’t need a guy to complete me. Nobody saw through my facade- I fooled everyone, even myself. I got good grades, loved music and theatre- still do, have an amazing family, and the best friends anyone ever could. So I never realized something was missing in my life.
I used to say I didn't believe in love. My friends disagreed, but then I saw where their so-called love had got them- staying up all night for phone calls which never came, crying for days when they realized their relationship was over. When they said the pain was worth the good times they had, I scoffed at them. I thought love was weakening them.
But that was before I met you, and you turned my world upside down.

I didn’t like you when we first met. You with your crazy ideas and perpetual smile. That used to annoy me, before I fell in love with it. Slowly, we became friends. Then best friends. Soon after that, I began feeling a strange sort of fluttering in my heart every time I saw you. I began loving that smile of yours. I began doing crazy things. I danced in the rain, jumped on stage during a lecture, just to see you flash that stupidly addictive smile at me. I took a few extra minutes every morning to make sure I looked great. That’s when I realized that the world I’d created around myself had come crashing down around me, all because of you. How stupid I was! You never cared about my mascara, or whether my shoes matched my bag. You cared about what was inside me. You cared about how I made you laugh, and you loved the way I made you feel. At the time, I couldn’t understand what was going on. And then, it all came out, just like it had to.

We were walking together on the beach, all alone. Our friends were swimming about a mile behind us. That’s when you stopped, suddenly, and turned to me.
“What’s the matter?” I asked.
“Do you believe in fairytales?”
“No, I don’t. I don’t think glass slippers can bring me eternal happiness.”
“You don’t need glass slippers to be Cinderella.”
“What are you trying to say?”
“I’m trying to say that it’s hard.”
“What’s hard?”
“Seeing you, talking to you everyday, and trying to act like I don’t love you, when you’re all that I think about.”
“You…love me? Why?”
“Because you’re so beautiful, and smart, and funny, and you always make me fell like laughing a little harder, smiling a little more. I love the way you-”
“Stop talking.”
“What? Why?”
“Because you loser, I love you too.”
“What???”
“Shut up and kiss me before I punch you.”