One Fiery Prom Date | Teen Ink

One Fiery Prom Date

February 9, 2010
By Angel_writer1481 SILVER, Springdale, Maryland
Angel_writer1481 SILVER, Springdale, Maryland
8 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out of it alive.


"When are they going to let us back in?" I ask hugging myself to keep warm. It's cold outside but wouldn't you know it, the school scheduled a fire drill today.

"This is so stupid," my friend Margot says. We both take a seat on the plush green lawn that is at the side of the school. The cold goes through you more intensely if you sit straight up so we're better off sitting down.

"The school system is so dumb," I say. "Why schedule a fire drill in winter."

"You know what I heard," my other friend Laurel said as she sat down beside us. "Someone set the boys bathroom on fire."

"They're always doing that," I say as I put my hands under my bottom. I really wish I hadn't forgotten my gloves inside, or my hat for that matter. "It's always someone who was smoking and didn't put the cigarette out before they put it in the trash can."

"That's not what I heard." Laurel said. Laurel Bard, the gossip. "I heard whoever did it used gasoline and splashed it all over the mirrors and the floor and even the urinals. Ladies, we have an arsonist on our hands."

"Disguting," I say. Ten minutes passed and they still wouldn't let us in. The rumor of the cause of the fire being an arsonist was a hot topic among the students all over the lawn. Get it, hot topic . . . hot, fire. Hee hee,I digress. I asked around and found out that the arsonist was like a professional. He (or she) had started the fire ensuring that it would start quickly and spread quickly. He (or she) made sure that all the windows were open so the oxygen from the air would fuel the fire.

Another 20 minutes passed, and a group of blackened faces emerged from the school's side entrance. The firefighters had put the fire out but they wouldn't let us back in, they didn't think it was entirely safe yet. The firefighters had seen these types of fires before and they knew there was a hidden spark somewhere that could start things up all over again within seconds. It was kind of fascinating when you thought about it.

"I am so cold," whined Margot. "Can't they just put us in the gymnasium or the auditorium."

"It's not safe yet, remember," I reminded her.

"Well, poo," was her reply.

"Hey ladies."

I looked up at the voice, shielding my eyes from the sun with my hand. I had to lean back to take in the full height of the gorgeous 6 foot 2 man that was standing in front of me. "Oh, hey Jody," I say with a smile. Seeing Jody in all his hotness really took the chill off. I am so backflips in love with Jody. I wish with all my might that maybe, by some chance, Jody will ask me out or at least take me to prom.

"Hey Corrinne . . . Laurel . . . Margot," Jody says giving us all a personal greeting. I try to keep myself from giggling goofily because he said my name first.

He looked from Margot to Laurel. "Margot, Laurel, can you give us a second?" Jody asked. I only looked over at Laurel. I knew she'd want to stay and I gave her a look that told her not to. Margot succeeded in pulling Laurel away and Jody took a seat on the lawn next to me.

"Crazy thing about this fire, huh?" he said. I nodded politely and to be honest, I didn't even hear what he said. I was getting lost in the contours of his face, his infectious dimples and the deep brown color of his eyes. "You know, I heard that the dude that started the fire has been setting fires in schools all over the county. That's completely demented, don't you think?"

"Definitely. You have to be pretty crazy to try to just burn down boys' bathrooms. It's kind of weird." I say. I like talking with Jody but I really hope the course of the conversation changes. Discussing arsonists is not really what I'd call romantic.

"So Corrinne," Jody said turning towards me. "I've been meaning to ask you something."

I turned to him and said, "What is it?" I did my best not to sound too excited while not sounding to aloof either. There's a science to it actually.

"You want to go to prom with me?"

Without embarrassing myself I said, "Yes, of course. I'd love to. That'd be awesome."

Jody smiled. It was a cute smile that showed off his pearlie whites and was outlined by the pink of his lips. Ahh, his lips.

"Alright, everyone, it's safe now. Report back to class," our principal, Mrs. Bethany, proclaimed over her signature megaphone. I despised her right then for her impeccable timing.

Jody got up first. He turned around to me and offered his hand. He effortlessly lifted my 5 foot 6 frame off the ground but I didn't stick the landing. I stumbled towards him -- not on purpose, if that's what you were thinking -- and I landed in his arms. I lingered in his arms long enough to take in all of his smells. Coconut shampoo . . . peppermint breath spray . . . dial soap . . . Effortless man cologne. There was another smell that I just couldn't figure out. It was on the tip of my tongue.

Jody and I stayed in our embrace despite the call to go back inside. Then I saw them, I saw them before he did. An assortment of police officers and firefighters were headed our way. My eyes widened and I figured out the final smell. Smoke mixed with gasoline.

I pushed Jody away giving the coppers the chance to subdue him and take him. I stared after them still hugging myself. The chill came back as they took him away. Jody was still struggling even though it was pointless. He turned back to me and yelled, "I'll pick you up at 8. Okay?" I grimaced as the police officer put Jody into the car. I shook my head as I walked slowly into the building, leave it to me to accept a prom date with a felon.