Monster | Teen Ink

Monster

By Vilhelm GOLD, Elk River, Minnesota
Vilhelm GOLD, Elk River, Minnesota

I can't work with these people. I'm going to my locker room!

It was their first date. They both excitedly prepared for the event they had anxiously anticipated for almost a year; she nervously smoothing her hair and dress while he showered three times, hoping to look pristine and proper. They drove to a nearby park and lay together on the soft green grass as the stars sparkled brightly above.

“You are so, so beautiful,” he said as he held her. She laughed.

“Don’t say that. I don’t- I don’t deserve you.”

“Nor do I deserve you,” he replied.

The night moved on, and as they sat
up, they were both equally startled to find their faces only inches apart, staring into each others’ eyes. Time stopped, as they ever so slowly leaned closer together. The moments their lips met sent a current of energy through their bodies so severe each felt their hearts would explode.

The blissful moment ended and they fell weakly into each others’ arms, he reached quickly into his pocket and removed a small box. As he held her hand and looked her in her beautiful brown eyes, he slowly handed the ribbon covered box to her.

She slowly opened it and a small gasp left her lips. She reached in and lifted her hand as a small gemstone necklace slowly appeared. It was made of a light silver chain inset with small red rubies and a white opal at the center.

She could only stare at the beautiful gift. Her hand covered her mouth as tears slowly ran down her cheeks. He lightly took it from her hands and placed it around her neck.

“No…no….” She could only softly stammer as she lifted up her hands in protest. “I… I don’t need this... I don’t deserve it.”

“You do,” He said as he forced the clasp into place. “More than anything.”

They stood up, he holding her hand, and slowly walked down the worn path into the nearby woods. As they neared the woods a chill came over her. He wrapped his arm tightly around her. She laid her head against his chest.

The shadows consumed them as they glanced between the trees. He held her hand, their fingers intertwined as they walked together side by side down the path. She softly spoke to him.

“I love you. More than anyone in the world I love you. And I want to be with you forever.”

“I will always be with you,” he said, grunting.

“Are you ok?” She asked, placing a hand on his arm.

“Yeah, fine. I- I just have something in my throat,” He replied.

They continued down the path as their arms reached around each other. The moon flashed between the trees when suddenly a growl- or a scream- came from nearby. She clung to his shadowed form tightly.

“Shh,” he whispered softly into her ear. “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

She pulled him close and wrapped her arm around him. As she placed her head against his neck, she frowned.

“What happened to your back?” She asked, her hand running over his back.

“What do you mean?” He replied as he placed his head on hers.

“You’ve got a huge lump here.”

“Really? I didn’t notice. I must have banged it up or something. I’ll be fine.”

She stopped him.

“You sure you’re ok?” She asked. “It sounds like you still have something in your throat.”

He put his hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eye, his face in the shadows.

“I’m fine,” he said. “I’m amazing.”

They continued walking. Just ahead of them the path opened onto the moonlit grass. She reached down and grasped his hand tightly with hers.

“I really don’t deserve you,” She said earnestly.

He laughed deeply. She stopped and turned to him, her back inches from the moonlight. She couldn’t see him; he remained in the shadows. He laughed again, and a chill danced over her skin.

“What?” She asked.

“No,” he laughed again. “You don’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“You don’t deserve me.”

His laugh grew louder, resounding throughout the forest. His voice, already deep, grew even darker and more guttural. He stepped forward out of the shadows.

She gasped and took two fast steps backwards, tripping over her own feet. She lay on the ground, looking up at him.

The… thing she saw was completely disfigured. It towered above her and its disjointed, skewed form seemed to consume her. Dilated yellow eyes sat above a sharp, demented grin. At his sides sat ten sets of sharp claws.

She ran. Blindly following any sense of direction, she fled without looking back. The thing’s howling laugh surrounded her as the crooked form suddenly appeared in front of her. He struck her across the face, leaving red marks across her cheek as she fell to the ground.

‘I hate you, you worthless piece of meat,” it said, the voice barely understandable.

A flood of tears streamed from her eyes as she tried to understand. Dozens of green strands were pulled from the ground into her hands as she searched in vain for something definite to hold on to. He- it- leaned close to her face.

“And I am going to kill you.”

She tried to get to her feet. It only cackled as she ran several yards before it sprinted forward in a single motion and raked five bloody marks across her back. She fell once again.

“Why-” she tried to manage out. Her voice would not allow any sound.

“Does it matter?” It replied.

He lunged forward.

It only took moments. When the deed was complete, it stood, blood shining red on its claws and teeth. Her cold, lifeless form lay on the ground, wide eyes staring at the stars she had looked upon with joy just a short while earlier. Red blood mixed with green grass and white moonlight, creating an obscene portrait.

The thing looked down at the sight and laughed. His demonic howl sent a nearby owl into flight. He turned and without looking back ran into the woods. The darkness swallowed the murderous form.

On her chest lay the necklace, broken.

The pure white opal shattered to pieces.

My greatest fear is that I will become the monster that destroys the ones I love"

pyropoet DIAMOND, Zimmerman, Minnesota

You are NEVER alone in your troubles - there is someone who is always willing to lend a hand or a shoulder to you.
-L. Kimpton

i am so sorry, vilhelm. i'm sorry that you have to deal with this "monster" alone. if you need anything, please don't hesitate to tell me. i don't want to see you in this kind of pain - or any pain in general. please, please know that i am here for you if you need me - all you have to do is call and i will do my best to pick up the phone.

you aren't alone in this, vilhelm. you have both God and me with you - all the way.

monstrosity BRONZE, Hood River, Oregon

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

Oh. My. God.