To the Sound of the Rain | Teen Ink

To the Sound of the Rain

By serendipitous615 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland
serendipitous615 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland

"Do you want to know the secret of self esteem? Here it is: If you want confidence, then understand how much you matter to God. If God loves you, who cares what anybody else thinks."

“Conrad come dance with me!” I jumped out of his car that broke down on the side of the side of the road that no one remembers is here.

“Alba it’s poring down rain!” he said shutting my door that I left wide open.

“That doesn’t matter,” I whispered looking up at the gray Alabama sky.

Conrad looked at me spinning in the rain through the window as if he envied me. Once I stopped twirling I walked over to him.

“Conrad!” I called his name, “Conrad please come dance with me!”

He rolled down the window. “No Alba my pa will kill me if I ruin his suit.” I watched him fix his tie and then run his fingers through his hair.

“Conrad that’s not your pa’s suit!” I laughed and pointed a finger at him. “Please?”

A bolt of lightning flashed through the sky and I looked up awaiting the thunder to roll.

“Alba get in your gonna get yourself killed!”
I stepped back from the car and pulled my hair away from my face. “I won’t care if I be killed right here!”
“Alba you’re talking crazy, get in.”
“No!”
“Alba,”
“Jesus Conrad I said no!” he looked a little hurt. “I just wanna dance!”
Conrad slumped back down in his seat and put his hands over his eyes. More lightning brightened up the sky. I closed my eyes and stood letting the rain was my skin.
“Alba!” I heard the car door shut. “Alba this aint funny anymore.” I opened my eyes to find Conrad walking up behind me loosening his red tie.
Once he was close enough I grabbed him by the arm. “Dance with me,” I whispered.
He dropped his head and laughed a low laugh. “Alba we just came from a dance.”
“So?”
“Your dress is getting soaked.” He touched the white silk waist band.
“I don’t care; I don’t like this old rag anyways.” I smiled at him and put my palm against his cheek. “Conrad why are you being so stubborn?” He looked up from the ground and at me. A rain drop fell from his nose. “Why won’t you dance with me?”
“Because Alba it’s raining,”
I couldn’t help but laugh at him. “You’re already standing in the rain silly!”
He was trying to keep a straight face but I could see him starting to smile. “Yeah…I know,”
“So…” I backed up until our arms couldn’t stretch any farther. “Dance with me…I know you can.”
He took a deep breath and slowly let it go, “fine, fine.” He brought me close to him and wrapped his left arm around my waist. “But once we dance you will get back in that car.” He smiled.

“Anything you say,” I moved my lips to his ear, “Just dance with me.”

thank you!! :)

Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.

Cute story.!.!

Mykindapeopledontcarewhatyouthink BRONZE, Gueydan, Louisiana
I love it. It's cute and quirky, but still beautifully serious. It's great