This Ain't A Fairy Tale... | Teen Ink

This Ain't A Fairy Tale...

January 2, 2010
By Love2Write22 SILVER, Pryor, Oklahoma
Love2Write22 SILVER, Pryor, Oklahoma
6 articles 3 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you reach the end; then stop."


Love stories should never get printed. You’ll never be a princess; you’ll never get prince charming. I found that out the hard way. This is what I was thinking about, while I reclined on my tiny bed with my Australian Shepherd, Charlie. I didn’t feel like going outside, I didn’t feel like doing anything. Since Jake and I broke up, my world seemed to be crumbling to dust around me. Well, technically, I guess to have to be a couple to break up. We were, er, kind of. The story is quite interesting.
“Would you like to go out with me?” Trevor asked and I was hesitant to say yes, since he was one of Jake’s best friends.”
“Sure,” I replied, screw being nice to people’s feelings, he was off with Katy, “Where do you want to go?”
I thought for a second, his forehead creasing in concentration, “Bowling? I’m not big into movies, you can’t talk.”
I smiled, my big, attempting-to-be-jolly smile, “Sounds perfect. Pick me up at seven?”
He nodded, and leaned into kiss me, I turned my cheek. I couldn’t kiss him, not yet. I still had too strong of feelings for Jake. Of course, I knew soon I’d have to get over them, and go back to reality, my reality being, that Jake didn’t want me. I looked up and–quickly–said “Okay, see you at seven!” Then waved like a mental person running in the opposite direction.
I decided I needed to walk through the park and get some fresh air. Fresh air and, well, the boys’ football team sometimes had workout in the park; it was a very nice picture. The sun was shining brightly down, it was one of those days that you couldn’t help but be in a good mood. I was staring off to my left, watching the sweaty boys’ run through the park with all their muscles.
Before I knew it, I was flat on my face, and my left hand and elbow was throbbing. “Kenzy! Are you okay?” I heard the familiar voice of the most popular kid in school, Jake Robinson.
I hurriedly jumped up, and smoothed my hair. “Oh, I’m fine. I meant to do that.” I tried to smile a convincing smile.
He smiled, and kept advancing towards me. “What am I going to do with you? Always getting yourself into trouble, I think you’re worse than Bella Swan.” He winked at me, and pulled an oak leaf out of my hair.
I blushed and looked down, “Well, good thing I don’t need you to protect me. I’ll make that someone else’s job.” I starting treading in the opposite direction, I just wanted to be away from his cute smile and gorgeous blue eyes.
“Kenzy, wait. I need to talk to you.” He said.
I turned around, “It’s OK Jake, honestly, I get it. You don’t like me like that. I understand.”
“But it’s not like that. You’re just so young, and well?” He started.
“You just don’t want to upset your model gorgeous senior girlfriend. I get it, Jake.” I started walking off again, and when he called for me again, I didn’t stop. I held back my tears until I got home. Every time I saw him, I always ended up crying now.
I finally made it home around six. I had to run some errands for my mother. I got ready for my date and at seven o’clock sharp, Trevor was at my door. We had a fun time, that was, until we got to the bowling alley. There sat Jake and a couple of guys off the baseball team. Trevor was slightly blocking me from the crowd, so Jake hadn’t seen me yet. Jake walked up and high fived Trevor, when I stepped around him. Jake’s eyes widened as he understood what was going on. I was on a date with his best friend. “So this is why you bailed?” Jake asked, glaring in my direction.
“Sorry dude, have you seen her? I had to take her on a date.” Trevor put his arm around my shoulders, and I casually shrugged him off.
Jake’s eyes hardened even more, and shook his head. “Yeah, I’ve seen her.” Then he turned and walked off.
All night I was conscious of Jake. Every now and then I would catch him staring at me, when I would look at him, his gaze turned into a glare. It made me sad. Jake was the one I wanted to be on a date with, not Trevor. Not saying that Trevor wasn’t attractive, but he wasn’t Jake. When we finally ready to leave, Trevor had to use the bathroom. “Okay, I’ll wait. I really don’t have a choice, though, you drove me here.” He laughed and went to the bathroom.
Jake walked over and looked at me. “What?” I asked, angry, he’s the one that didn’t want me.
“If only you would have listened to me in the park today, instead of running off like a little kid. I dumped Michelle, for you, Kenzy. Instead you had to go date my best friend.” I inhaled a sharp breath, I felt the tears welling in my eyes, and I tried to hold them back. One little teardrop though, slid down my cheek. Jake reached up, and for a moment, quit glaring at me, and wiped it away. That’s when Trevor appeared.
“You ready to leave?” He asked.
“Sure,” I replied glumly, wanting to be by Jake, who had retreated back to his glob of friends.
Once we arrived at my house, I sat frozen in Trevor’s truck. I guess he took that as a symbol to make-out. As he leaned over, I pushed him away from me, “Stop.”
He pulled back, puzzled, “Something wrong?”
“Well…Yes. I’m sorry Trevor; I can’t go out with you anymore.” I said, so quickly I don’t know how he understood me.
“I don’t understand, I thought we had a fun time.” He said.
“We did, but, I’m…I think I’m in love with Jake.” I just had to spit it out there, I saw the anger flash across his face.
“Jake? It always is Jake.” He said.
“Trevor I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to lead you on and?” I started.
“Get out.”
“Trevor, please listen to me?”
“Get out!” He bellowed.
I swiftly unlocked my door, and ran inside. I had these weird shooting pains through my chest. Silently, I laughed and said I must be experiencing a broken heart. I didn’t even bother changing out of my clothes; I just fell asleep on my bed.
On Monday morning, I planned on catching Jake walking through the park on the way to school. When I finally spotted him, shuffling by himself, I ambushed.
“Jake…” I said.
He turned around, but he didn’t seem glad to see me. I mutely said a prayer, hoping this all went well. “Yes?” he replied.
“I just wanted to say I’m so sorry, and that I don’t want to see Trevor. I like you, and I’ve always liked you; ever since I was in eighth grade. You know me the best out of anyone, and please. Just forgive me. And…I think I might be in love with you.” The last part slipped out on its own.
Jake stood, taking it all in, or so I was guessing. I waited for him to reply. “Kenzy,” He started “If you would have only listened to me two days ago. This could have been avoided. I’m sorry, Kenzy. Michelle and I–We’re back together.”
The words cut me like a knife, I knew I would come out of this with scars, I was just hoping there wouldn’t be on my heart. Wordlessly, I turned and walked off. This couldn’t be happening to me. Love stories don’t end this way, the boy always realizes what he’s missing out on and comes back to the girl. Romeo stayed with Juliet, why couldn’t Jake be with me?
Cinderella got her Prince. I mean, the Prince didn’t have to search for Cinderella; he could’ve stayed with some other Princess, and maybe gotten a high status for his country–but he didn’t. He sought Cinderella out. Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, their Prince’s didn’t have to be with those certain girls…
That’s when I finally decided, life isn’t a fairy tale. You’ll never be the Princess forever. Maybe for a day, a month…Even a year, but not forever. Nothing lasts forever.