His Heart Part 8 | Teen Ink

His Heart Part 8

By Victoria_Luz PLATINUM, Niantic, Connecticut
Victoria_Luz PLATINUM, Niantic, Connecticut

I started to wake but froze when I heard a soft breathing. I opened my eyes and bit back a gasp. Alaster was so close, still holding me tightly to his chest. He looked so peaceful while he slept. Calm. My heart clenched tight in my chest at the sight. I was truly falling in love with this man. I just hoped I could heal his heart. I stretched and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. He stirred, his eyes blinked open. They looked down at me, wary, but then a smile spread across his face.
“What are you doing?” he asked, sleepily.
“Molesting you in your sleep.” I grinned teasingly at him.
“Perv” he chuckled. “I’m trying to sleep here.” He complained.
“Alright, I’ll go.” I started to get up but his arms tightened around me.
“No” he growled.
“I’ll be back later.” I tried to comfort him. He growled again, a low rumble in his chest.
“Fine.” He grumbled and loosened his grip. He sounded so petulant that I couldn’t help but smile. I kissed Alaster lightly on his lips and scooted away.
“Sleep well.” I smiled and left the room. I walked down the stairs to my room, put on a fresh dress, then went down to the first floor and outside. I was less confused as I was the other day. If I was falling in love with him then that explains much. But now I had to deal with Alaster’s increasing physical attraction to me. If only I knew he had true emotional affection.
I wondered amongst the trees for the entire day. I could get lost in a forest. The trees held so many stories. And under the warm sunlight the trees were especially talkative. I sat under one for hours. Until the sun sank below the treetops.
“Kari” a voice came from the darkness that started to encroach.
“Alaster!” I smiled, squinting into the darkness. Alaster approached me, his eyes glittering.
“What are you doing here?” he asked.
“Taking in nature.” I replied sweetly.
“You were supposed to come meet me in our room.”
“Our?” I picked out that word surprised. He sat down next to me, gathering me into his arms.
“We both sleep there, I believe that can constitute that it is both of our room.” He said neutrally.
“Okay” he was holding me so tenderly that I felt my heart slipping further in love with him. “And I was just about to come up, but was having trouble summoning the energy.”
“Have you been feeling alright lately?” he asked me suddenly.
“Yes, why?”
“I’ve been taking a lot of blood from you. Have you been feeling woozy or weak?” His hand started to weave into my hair.
“A little I guess, but I don’t do so much activities that require too much strength so I’m alright.” I reassured him. It was odd, him caring.
“Good.” He said gruffly. I smiled, he was acting so sweet.
“Let’s go for a walk.” I said brightly. He smiled down at me and stood up with me. I took his hand, lacing our fingers together. He walked close beside me as we passed through the trees.
“Alaster”
“What is it?” When was it that he started to speak so softly to me?
“I think I deserve to hear about you’re first Cuore.” I said carefully, waiting for his anger.
“I suppose you do.” His voice was raw and cross. “I was about 20 when I first started to worry about my mortality. I had to find a Cuore or by the time I was 30 my body would start to deteriorate. I was foolish, and a woman at a bar I went to was kind to me. I mistook that for affection, when it was truly lust. So I bound her to me. Made her my heart. The first few days were alright. She was happy with the convenient body and I got blood, keeping me immortal.
“But soon she grew angry. She hadn’t realized that I was a vampire. She thought the blood drinking was some turn-on I had. I told her what I was and she rejected me. I tried to make her happy, I did. But she looked at me with disgusted eyes and refused to give me blood. I won’t go into the details but it was during a rush of fury that I figured out I could steal her soul.”
“You didn’t rape her, did you?” I asked horrified.
“No!” he snapped, his short temper and irritation showing. “She wanted one last time before she left me. After I had her soul I was sickened with myself, and her. So I gave it back to her. She left after that, there were a lot of threats, screaming and crying, but I let her go. Why would I want to keep such a heartless women as my Cuore?
“After that I just skipped from one woman to another. Each seemed more cruel and self-absorbed than the last. I couldn’t take it!” his hand clenched around mine. I let out a little whimper. Immediately he broke from his trance of the story and looked down at me, startled. His hand loosened and his thumb started to rub the top of my hand. “Sorry” he mumbled, averting my gaze. I stopped walking and his gaze went to me, horror in the depths of his eyes. But I just wrapped my arms around his waist, holding him to me.
“I’m sorry. Sorry, that I didn’t find you 60 years ago and become your Cuore. So I could have saved you from all this pain.” It wasn’t his fault that all he could find were shallow, heartless women.
“You’re too caring, little Kari. You even choose to shower your compassion on one such as me.” His arms wrapped around me, and he placed his cheek on my head.
“Because you’re the one that needs it the most.” That was the moment that I knew my heart was truly lost. His fingers pulled my chin up to look at him. He slowly bent his head to mine. I threw my arms around his neck, and leaned into his gentle kiss. His arms held me tightly to him, as if doing so would ensure I never left him.
“Why is it you care about me so much? Why are you here with me, when you could be free? Your life never touched by a monster such as I am.” His eyes looked steadily into mine but the pain I saw there was unbearable.
“Alaster, you aren’t a monster, not anymore. And I will always stay with you because…because I love you Alaster.” And I knew it was the truth. I would always love this man. I loved his soft tones, that he only spoke to me, and the ways his eyes gentled as they took me in.
“No you don’t.” his voice was harsh and low. His hands gripped me painfully.
“I do, Alaster. I have walked the Earth for 118 years and have never found someone I wanted to be with as much as I do you.” He looked at me, searching my eyes for signs that I was lying. But I knew he would find none.
“Kari, you must understand, I can’t love you back. And you deserve someone that loves you with their entire being.” His voice ached with sadness, that pulled at my heart.
“I don’t believe that. Your heart just needs time to heal. And I think I can help.” He leaned his forehead against mine,
“If anyone can it will be you.” He said so softly. “Do you truly love me?” he asked uncomprehendingly. I nodded,
“Yes” I barely got it out before his lips crushed mine. He devoured my mouth with an aching need. Without breaking the kiss, he scooped me into his arms and darted back to the house. Within seconds we were in his room, no our room. He laid me gently on the bed, his eyes afire.
“There is no other I want. I cannot promise you my love but I can promise you that I will never have another Cuore. You are my true heart. That I am sure of.” He waited for my answer. Waited for me to except him. And I couldn’t help but open my arms to him.
I don’t think I’d ever regret what we did that night.

I woke drowsy still. My body felt heavy and useless. I was in Alaster’s arms, even while he slept. I smiled. He may not realize he loved me but I knew he did. I buried my face into his chest, inhaling his warm scent. Alaster’s eyes blinked open. He looked down at me, a smile creeping onto his face.
“Good morning.” His voice was thick with sleep. I smiled,
“Good morning.” I craned my head up to place a kiss on his lips. His arms tightened, making me fully aware of the fact that neither of us had a thing on. A blush heated my face, and I felt a chuckle rumble through his chest.
“After all that you blush?” he asked teased. That made my face heat up even more.
“I’d better get up.” I said, resigned.
“No” he growled.
“Alaster!” I wined, struggling weakly against him.
“There is no way in hell I’m letting you get away from me now.” He smiled mischievously at me.
“But I’m really not tired.” I wined.
“That is easily changed.” He smiled and bent his head closer to mine.
“What are you-?” I managed before his fangs sank into my neck. I was already so low on blood that after only a few sips my eyelids felt like they weighed a hundred pounds. “You cheater!” but my outrage was a little deterred by the slur in my speech.
“That I am. But now I get to keep you all day.” He smiled, snuggling me closer.
“Watch out Fang, or I’m going to find a stake when I get up.” I threatened, but it sounded muffled and the effect was lost. He started laughing, louder than I’d ever heard. Great hoots of it that shook the bed.
“You are a delight.” He said, still chuckling, he kissed the top of my head. And I was out.

AconiteAnn BRONZE, Agoura Hills, California

"I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands and wrote my will across the sky in stars." - T. E. Lawrence

Please write more please please please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluhs said...
bluhs, E, Alabama
Please write more soon! Please!!!!

Muziksoul29 PLATINUM, Paris, Tennessee

Dont ever look to th epast, cause you see things you already know. Look to the future to see things come at you like a fast ball.
-Me:)

i read this forever ago wen i was first reading on teenink and i thought "ok this is amazing and i hope she'll update soon" but now im thinking i cant wait for an update so much that i would honestly start making up the story in my head. :)

teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I know I already mentioned how I usually detest vampire romances, but this was different, it was very original and very captivating! This is my new favorite story, I really want to see it in print!

Nerdy-Bookworm BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

is is a really good story.!

keep writing!!!

Muziksoul29 PLATINUM, Paris, Tennessee

-Me:)

PLZ WRITE MORE SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) LUVD IT

Kathryn2010 said...
Again it was great!!! I'm deffinately going to look up the story on that website!

Muziksoul29 PLATINUM, Paris, Tennessee

-Me:)

Hey Your story is AMAZING! i love it and you can write great.

wow thanks so much!!! i kno i say this alot but the rest is on http ://inkpop .com /projects/6497/cuore/read-project/#chapter
i'm more into this sight now, teenink takes too long to post things!!

erika4964 said...
That was such a good story! It didn't even sound like Twilight it was so unique. You didn't even use the same type of vampires. Please write more!! But if you don't ..... IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!