Hopeless | Teen Ink

Hopeless

By hello.beautiful PLATINUM, New York, New York
hello.beautiful PLATINUM, New York, New York

Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told. -Habakkuk 1:5

Jake has always been the cool kid, but no matter how many boys may dream to be just like him and how many girl’s dreams he is present in; Jake’s oblivious to the fact. But, being his longtime best friend, that’s what I adore about him the most. I just love the way he doesn’t notice all the double takes he gets by simply walking down the school hallway. You’d think a boy this good looking would be egotistical and narcissistic, but he’s the exact opposite of cocky. He’s the sweetest guy I’ve ever met on the face of this entire planet. To me, anyways. Jake is just amazing, he’s Jake. And I’m in love with him.

Maybe it’s the way he’s always acted towards me. He treats me like a princess, his queen. Jake’s such a sweet kid, and he’s gorgeous too. His shaggy chocolate curls are adorable, just skimming his eyelashes. He’s like a cute little puppy. And Jake has the most beautiful brown eyes. He’s just so unintentionally beautiful in that understated, accidental way of his; it‘s effortless. His style is so seamless, he always knows the right thing to say. I can’t help but fall head over heels in love with the kid.

“Riley! Earth to Riles…”

I immediately awoke out of my daydreaming state, to meet his eyes. Those warm, brown eyes. Ah, I do love him. The way he called me by my nickname is just too cute. I can’t help but smile.

“Daydreaming about me again?” He winks knowingly, but after knowing him for thirteen years I can tell he’s only joking. Phew. False alarm.

As payback, I playfully sock him in the bicep. He pouts, and he pretends to be hurt.

“You are such a jerk!” I shoot him a dirty look.

He only laughs, and as hard as I try not to join in, I cant resist.

It’s almost midnight by now, and the sky is hazy blue- it’s a full moon tonight. The air is warm and slightly breezy; a typical summer night. We’re sitting outside on his back patio, just Jake and me, skimming our toes in the water of his crystal blue pool. Lying down, side by side, backs to the hard concrete beneath us. Just staring up at the stars together.

It’s sort of a tradition by now, whenever there’s a full moon that is. Together, we just lie out beneath the starry sky, on his back patio, taking it all in. Talking about our dreams, our plans for the future.

“Jake” I turn my head slightly, so I’m facing him now. He turns to meet my gaze. Our faces our mere inches apart from one another now. I can feel his warm breath on my face, and I am truly loving every second of this moment. But at the same time, it’s a kind of bittersweet feeling because I know it won’t last.

“What will happen when we’re not together anymore? Our entire lives, this is how it’s always been… I don’t want that to change.” Pausing, I study his eyes for a brief moment, as if they held the key to our future. “I mean, we’re going to graduate in two years already. And then college… we can’t fight what’s inevitable.”

Slowly, I inhale and run my fingers through a loose piece of uncooperative hair. Despite my efforts, it accidentally flops in front of my face, and Jake reaches out, slowly tucking it behind my left ear. I lose my breath for a split second. He looks me directly in the eye, his smooth, warm hand still on my face.

“Ry, the future is ours to uncover. We can’t worry about what’s ahead, when we’re together right now. That’s all that matters. I don’t want to waste another second here, worrying about what the future holds. Whatever is meant to be, it’ll find it’s own way. But what I do know, is that right now, this is what we’re meant to be doing. I mean we’re still kids, right? Kids are supposed to be young, reckless, and carefree. We have to enjoy this while it still lasts, so don’t waste a moment worrying about the future because it’s all going to turn out alright. That, I can promise you, Ry.” He looks up at the sky for a second, then his intense gaze lands on my face once more, “ And as for us, you’re being silly. We’ll always be together, no question.” He smiles now, revealing his perfect teeth, gleaming like pristine pearls.

I immediately inhale, a sigh of relief. My smile reciprocates his.

Blaire! BRONZE said...
on Jan. 19 2010 at 12:01 am
Blaire! BRONZE, Williamsburg, Virginia

"The best days have yet to be lived"

I am looking forward to it. You are very talented.

I'm glad you can relate :)

thank you for your feedback !

i submitted the second part to this story, but it's still being approved.

it should be up soon though, hopefully.

Blaire! BRONZE said...
Blaire! BRONZE, Williamsburg, Virginia

"The best days have yet to be lived"

I can relate to Riley so much. I am absolutely in love with this story, I want to know more! And I agree with michelle, you have a very good writing style. I like it- no LOVE it. 5 stars! Keep up the good work :D

Blaire! BRONZE said...
Blaire! BRONZE, Williamsburg, Virginia

"The best days have yet to be lived"

I can't wait for part two... this is really good.

Great job :D

theres a second part to the story actuallly,

it just hasn't been approved yet ! :)

thank you for your feedback :)

as for dissapointing, any advice on how i could improve the ending?!

thanks ! :)

mcw_816 SILVER said...
mcw_816 SILVER, Short Hills, New Jersey
The ending was disappointing and not what I expected! But I still like your style.