Recovery Because of You--part 3 | Teen Ink

Recovery Because of You--part 3

By Brilliantbecca SILVER, Clayton, Ohio
Brilliantbecca SILVER, Clayton, Ohio

"A best friend is someone whom laughs three times at a joke; once when it's told, once when you explain it and five minutes later when they finally get it."

I snap out of my flashback and watch as Aunt Judith goes to place the papers on the desk. I feel something hot trickling from my eye to my cheek. I quickly wipe the evidence away as Aunt Judith calls me over.

I sign my name and then print it and hand over the papers to the receptionist. She smiles, walking over to the printer to retrieve another load full of papers.

“Your schedule is right there, and this is the names of all your teachers,” I grab the papers and smile.

The boy who was near the fax machine turns around and flashes us a smile. He has dark hair and warm brown eyes and eyebrows that hollow over his eyes, making him look dangerous and mysterious.

“This is Jake,” the receptionist announces, waving her hand at Jake to come over. “He was assigned to show you around the school. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. Your teachers will hand you sheets of papers that you will return to the office at the end of the day. We’re really happy to have another student at this school.”

I smile awkwardly, wringing my hands as a silence falls upon us. “Well thank you so much.” Aunt Judith concludes, taking my hand and squeezing it.

“Don’t mention it. I hope you have a wonderful year here, honey.” She says.

“I’ll see you later.” I say softly, turning on my heel and walking out into the hallway.

“Sweetie, call if you need anything okay?” Aunt Judith says, kissing me on my forehead.

“Okay, thanks.”

“I’ll pick you up at 3:30.”

“Yeah.” I watch sadly as she makes her way through the doors. The moment the door slaps shut behind her dread enclose my stomach, almost forcing me to go back to my flashback. I change my mind! I think. I don’t want to go to this school. Please!

My eyes start to fill as I realize I’m alone. I know nobody at this school and I’m so not ready to let anyone else in my life. My heart has no room. All the rooms in there are occupied. Aunt Judith has the biggest room, my drug addiction has its room too, so is the feeling of failing my parents, Merriam has a room in there too, and so does all the pain I’ve felt over the years.