The New Girl Part 1 | Teen Ink

The New Girl Part 1

By thewritingmichi SILVER, Sunnyvale, California
thewritingmichi SILVER, Sunnyvale, California

A black haired girl stood on the hill looking at her new school. She fidgeted with her uniform in anxiety. Her maroon eyes were filled with anticipation.
“Well, here goes nothing.” She boldly entered the school just as the school bell rang.

Millie Weston entered her homeroom about 5 minutes before the bell rang. The redhead looked around to see everyone sitting around gossiping. She sighed in annoyance as she walked over to her seat.
“Bringgggggggggg!”
Immediately everyone took their seats as the teacher promptly walked in.
“Good morning class.”
“Good morning Mrs. Mayer.”
“Today we have a new transfer student coming into our homeroom.”
The room buzzed with curiosity. Everywhere the room was whispers of “A new transfer student, this late into the school year?”
The side door opened and the students were silenced. A tall pretty black haired girl walked in raising everyone’s curiosity more.
She bowed to the class before she spoke.
“Good morning, everyone. My name is Michele Paterson. Pleased to meet you.”
Most of the girls groaned in disappointment in having another pretty girl in their grade while most of the guys were betting on whose next girlfriend she would become. Millie smirked in amusement.
‘This will be interesting.’
Mrs. Mayer continued. “So Michele you can sit next to Millie, the spot next to her is open.”
Michele walked over to Misty and smiled politely before taking a seat next to her.
‘Well she’s not so bad.’ Misty thought as Mrs. Mayer began the announcements for homeroom.
The bell rang again as the first class of the day started. Since Mrs. Mayer was also their math teacher, they didn’t need to move to their next class.

Michele left the room as the bell rang for break. She walked into the hallway to find the girl sitting next to her earlier standing outside waiting for her.
“You’re Michele Paterson, the new transfer student right?”
“Yeah that’s me.”
“I’m Millie Weston. You seemed a little lost this morning, so I’ll guide you around the school.”
“Wow thanks a lot!”
“No prob, we better get moving if you want some fresh air.”
As they strolled down the hallway, Michele noticed a crowd surrounding a boy.
“Hey Millie, what’s going on over there.” Michele asked referring to the crowd.
Millie glanced over there then back to Michele. “That’s Gary Oaken, the most popular boy at Palletory Prep, a hot cutie but also a complete playboy and jerk. He’s in our homeroom you know.”
Michele frowned at that. “He doesn’t look that cute to me.”
“You might think that now, but I’ll bet that you’ll fall in love with him as soon as he looks at you. He’s gone out with nearly every girl in this school.”
“Have you gone out with him yet?”
Millie paused and blinked. “Yeah I have. I still think he’s hot actually. But I’ve moved on.”
She walked onwards towards the courtyard.”This is the courtyard Michele; it’s where everyone usually hangs out.” Her aquamarine eyes darted around the courtyard and a huge smile filled her face. Michele glanced at where Misty was looking and saw a spiky black haired boy with a hat come running towards their way.
“Andy!” Millie shouted.
“Millie!” Andy replied waving.
Millie introduced Andy to Michele. “Andy, this is Michele. Michele, this is Andy, my boyfriend.”
“Nice to meet you.”
“So you’re a transfer student huh? Nice to meet you too.”
A shoulder length brown haired girl came running up behind them.
“Andy, you run too fast! Hey Millie.” She looked up at Michele. “And you are?”
“Michele, I’m a transfer student.”
“Cool. I’m Maya” Maya turned to Millie. “I believe break will end pretty soon. We better get to class.”
“Yeah you’re right.” Millie smiled at Michele. “Michele, what class do you have next?”
“Um... I think English Literature.”
“Alright, then see you at lunch?”
“Sure thing. Bye then.”
“Later.” Millie ran off with Maya and Andy to their next class while Michele quickly sped to English Literature.

Michele walked out of Global Studies as soon as the bell rang. She met up with Millie and Maya outside of the cafeteria. All three quickly joined the growing lunch line. Michele glanced around the cafeteria and was surprised to see Gary cut in front of some girls. Michele gasped in shock.
“Don’t worry too much about it Michele.” Millie cut in. “Remember he‘s the most popular boy. The entire school idols him.”
“That still doesn’t let him cut in front of others.”
“Well, it’s expected.”
Gary noticed Michele and scooted his way towards her.
“Hey it’s the new transfer student. I’m Gary Oaken by the way, prince of the school.”
He paused as Michele stared blankly at him.
“Okay…. Maybe you’re not into princely guys. That’s fine with me, then how about a date on Saturday?”
“How about NO?” was Michele’s reply.
An awkward silence filled the cafeteria. Gary was flabbergasted while the other students were startled. Whispers began piling up. “Did Gary Oaken just get rejected?” His friends looked at each other in amazement. Gary recovered quickly although his pride was deeply wounded.
“Excuse me, but I think I heard you wrong. You’re going on a date with me right?
“Didn’t you hear me the first time? I said no.”
“Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Let’s get this straight. No one rejects me and I mean NO ONE.”
“Guess what? I just rejected you. Isn’t this your lucky day?” Michele smirked. She turned to get her lunch and headed outside. Millie and Maya looked on with astonishment and soon followed her afterwards. As soon as they left, the cafeteria grew louder again and Gary just stared at the door where Michele left.
Gary’s friends glanced worriedly towards Gary. “Gary, you’re not going to let her get away with this, are you?”
“Of course not. She may have rejected me now, but in the end, she’ll be begging me to go out with her.”
“If you say so.” The boys went back to the line to get their lunch.
A trio of girls not far from them was whispering angrily.
“How could she reject Gary Oak? I mean THE Gary Oaken like that. She’s got issues.”

Hi, this inspiration just came to me one day. Please review my work. This is my first submission and I'm nervous.

on Mar. 20 2011 at 9:13 am
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I like this. This is only your first one? I'm surprised. Athough if I were to give you some advice, it would be to describe your characters a little bit more, personality-wise. : )

Kitsune said...

I'm going to be completely honest here.

I really don't think it's that good. I mean, it just goes by way too quickly and it isn't that interestnig. It's way too dramatic as well. Keep trying though, and I'm absolutely sure that you'll get better each time. :)

keembahhh SILVER, Fullerton, California

the past is the past[: put it behind you and let it go and it wont come back to bite you in the ass

i am really going to enjoy this i can already tell! cant wait to read the others!

on Jun. 25 2010 at 9:43 am
Luminous BRONZE, Kissimmee, Florida

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Hi! This is amazing, and you have alot of potential! When an inspiration comes, no matter where you are, write it down. I have a feeling you are going to write a novel someday. Continue this, it just might be the one!

Thanks for your advice! I will definitely go more into their thoughts for the next part! :D

Sixteen PLATINUM, Jaipur, Other

Its not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. - Calvin

don't be nervous..your work is good!!

i just think that you should add a little more to the thoughts and feelings so that the reader can connect more with the charecters