Destined to be Together | Teen Ink

Destined to be Together

July 19, 2009
By lover.of.love BRONZE, Walkerton, Indiana
lover.of.love BRONZE, Walkerton, Indiana
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.


By the time I had hit sixth grade, I knew my life couldn’t get any better. All the teachers loved me, I got good grades, I was attractive for the most part, yet still lacking a boyfriend, and I had the best friend in the world. His name was Landon Jameson, I had met him in fourth grade, and we were both new to the school and the people. On our first day we had a lot in common; we were the new kids, we didn’t know anyone, and we both got those looks from the other students that already didn’t like us because we were new. The both of us just kind of hit it off, I guess and became fast friends.




Now I’m in seventh grade, just waiting for summer to come so I can get out of this stuffy, smelly, and creepy school. The only good part about school is my one and only friend, Landon. He has been there through it all. The good, the bad, the better and the worse, he has never left my side. We are totally inseparable.


Though I had never seen Landon as more than just a friend, the thought occurred to me in fourth hour Algebra. I love him. I just do, there was no explanation of why I do, but I do. I loved him and I never wanted him to leave my side. I spent all hour thinking about him until the teacher, who saw my totally empty paper which was supposed to be my notes, awoke my trance “Delilah Walker! Why aren’t you taking notes?” The teacher’s yelling was interrupted by the loud, high pitched ringing sound. Perfect! I thought to myself, time for next class period. I had to tell him. I had to tell him today, but how?


Luckily, Landon was in my English Literature class next hour, so I headed off to meet him by his locker as usual. We started walking, but we weren’t saying anything. He looked like he had something on his mind, so I let him think for a minute.

“Um Lan-“he interrupted me.

“I need to talk to you,” he was hesitating “I was thinking about something last hour. But I’m not sure how to tell you.”

“Go on” I urged, I thought wondered if he was thinking the same thing I was.

“Okay, well I was just thinking that, um… you know, we have been friends for a while and maybe we could try being more than just friends.”

I had no reply; I was bewildered by what he was saying. It was like he was reading my mind.

“So um, Delilah, what do you think? Would you like to go out with me?”

I had no clue what to say, but it just popped out “Yes! That’s exactly what I was thinking!”

“Oh. Wow co-“The tardy bell rang and interrupted him. We were late. We didn’t care. Hand in hand, the two of us walked slowly to class, staring deep into each others eyes like we knew we were meant to be, like it was our fate to be together.


We walked home together on the way home from school, our fingers laced and our eyes locked on each others. He walked me to my house even though his was in a totally different direction. Landon walked me up the front steps and to the door. He kissed me. It wasn’t any normal kiss. I felt something there, something important. It told me never to let go of him. I wanted to listen, I wanted him to stay here with me, but he pulled away.

“I have to go”

I didn’t know what to say. It was like the kiss had sucked all the words out of me. I did happen to get something out, though.

“Huh?” I said while still in my hypnotic trance.

“I have to go, I love you and I always have. It just took me a while to figure it out.” Landon looked me in the eyes while he spoke, but his eyes said more than his lips. He started to walk away. I didn’t know what to say.

“I love you, too!” I yelled down the driveway. I saw him smile. But what happened after that amazed me most; Landon came running back down the road to my house. He ran to me and kissed me one more time, but this time with more passion, it lasted longer than the last time. Without saying anything after the powerful kiss came to an end, he ran back home, leaving me speechless once again.


After that, he was all I could think about. I dreamed of us together every night, getting married, having kids and growing old together. We would do that, I knew it in the pit of my stomach that he was the one I was going to spend the rest of my life with.


Every class period I didn’t have with him was beyond boring, since I didn’t have many other friends besides Landon, So to make my day better, I would doodle all over my paper, I love Landon surrounded by hearts, and Mrs. Delilah Jameson. I was so caught up in calling myself that that I accidentally almost turned in a paper with that name on it instead of my own name. Luckily I caught it before the teacher did.


We have been dating for more than a month now, and today is our last day of school. I love him more than I love anything in the world. Landon was made for me and I was made for him. We were soul mates and we both knew it. We are walking home as usual, hand in hand, eyes locked, no words. We don’t need to say anything, I know what he is thinking and he knows what I’m thinking. We get to my old, wooden chipped door, and as usual I leaned in for a goodbye kiss, as did he. He kissed my lips, and pulled me in tighter, it was the most meaningful kiss I have ever had. After a while, he finally pulled away.

“Whoa…”I almost fell over backwards; I was so used to him holding me up. “I guess that kiss knocked the wind out of me.” I giggled my girlish giggle that he was never meant to hear.

“I love you” He said the words he always said, but today he tacked on a little extra. “I love you, you are my destiny, and I would do anything to keep you in my reach.”

“I love you, too, and don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere.”

He kissed me one last time and left down my paved driveway, headed for his home.


I woke up early on the first Saturday of summer vacation to a phone call. Of course it’s Landon. He was on his way over. I was so excited. I hopped out of my bed, flipped on the light and looked in the mirror. Wow! I thought to myself, I look horrible! I put on some old jeans and a tee shirt; he never said he loved me for my great style. Then I grabbed my brush from the top my desk and ran it through my shoulder length dirty blonde hair. I took out my old plastic container of makeup that I haven’t worn in months, I usually forget or run out of time, and took out some powder foundation. I buffed it on as fast as I could, but not fast enough to put on eye shadow. Just as I was putting the cap back on my foundation, the doorbell rang. I ran to get it; I was so excited to be spending the first official day of summer vacation with Landon.


I pulled open the door “Hey Landon!”

“Hi Delilah” I invited him in.


We both sat and watched TV in silence for a minute or so until I couldn’t take it anymore. “How are you?”

“Good” He said, too much into the show to follow his answer up with any details. But soon the day was gone and it was dark. Landon had to go home. We stood by my door as usual and he kissed me with as much feeling as usual. He told me he loved me and I replied the same. This went on pretty much every day that entire summer. And soon our summer was over. Landon and I were devastated that it had come to an end.


We soon started freshman year at Woodrow High School. It wasn’t even that bad, mostly because six of my eight classes were with Landon. I was having a great time until I frequently got in trouble for not paying attention in classes, because I was staring at the perfectness of Landon. His amazingly sculpted face, his rock hard muscular body, he was all I ever see and care for.


Landon was the love of my life and I his. I had the perfect life. It was excruciating! I never thought anything bad would ever happen to it. But sooner or later, it all came crashing down. It came down like a roller coaster going full speed flies off the railing and slams to the ground.


I got the call on a Saturday night in November. It was Landon’s parents. They were crying. They said Landon was at a party with a few friends but it got out of hand and one of his friends was driving home and a huge semi ran a red light. It hit the car on Landon’s side. He was in the hospital, in critical condition.


I ran out of the house, sprinted to the bus stop and hitched a ride to the hospital Landon was dying in. It was the longest wait on the bus, even thought it’s only a ten minute drive. I couldn’t imagine Landon in pain without me there to help him through it. It was horrible. On the bus I called my parents; they were out of town on a business trip. They sympathize.


After what seemed like forever, I ran into the lobby of the hospital and looked to Landon’s parents. I found them sitting, holding each other, crying. They took me to Landon’s room. I walked in to find my one and only true love lying there helpless, barely breathing. I hesitated to go near him, fearing that I would mess up one of the wires that were attached to him, but slowly I walked up and sat on the edge of his bed and took his hand in mine. He flinched and I dropped his hand.

It must have woken him up because after that his eyes flickered open and he tried so hard to speak, but it didn’t work, no sound came out of his soft, perfect lips. But I saw him mouth the words I love you, don’t forget me.


My voice was a whisper “I love you, too. I will never forget you.” My last words cracked as I started to cry. Just as my cries get louder, the machine that was marking his pulse with slow even beeps went blank. A straight line went across the screen and a low pitched whine crept to my ears. He was gone. His parents burst into tears, just as fast as I started bawling. The doctors rushed in. They checked his pulse and shook their heads slowly to signify that there wasn’t one at all. I heard one of the many doctors stationed in our room say to note the time. It was 11:05 P.M.



I cried my heart out all night and all Sunday. I was too torn to even go to school on Monday, so my parents let me stay home. That Saturday was the worst day of my life. But tomorrow I would have to go to school and face the facts that Landon won’t be there to guide me through my day.


I woke up late Tuesday morning and slipped into some old sweats and a sweatshirt. I didn’t care about what I was going to look like. I was just trying to make it through the day. I pulled my hair up into a very sloppy bun and I was off to school. When I walked into the doors, I first met thirty pairs of bloodshot, puffy eyes. I guess I wasn’t the only one who was devastated by the news. Several people were kind enough to give out hugs to me, trying to imagine the pain I was in.


First hour was horrible because Landon normally sat right in front of me and I always talked to him and stared at his perfections, but I can’t do that anymore. I burst out in tears and ran to the bathroom without having the teacher sign one of my passes. I ran straight to the main office and requested that my parents come pick me up. They wouldn’t allow it. So I sat in the nurse’s office for the remainder of first hour and a majority of second and third hour. The secretary in the office made her send me to my class. But thankfully it was one of the classes I didn’t have with Landon.


I headed for my locker, which is right next to Landon’s, to get my books for biology. I put in my combination, trying not to think about him, saying the numbers in my head, 43-26-07. I lifted the trigger and my locker popped open. I saw what was inside and I slammed it shut as hard as I could, which wasn’t that hard. I don’t even think anyone heard it. I slammed it closed because right when I opened it I caught a glimpse of my pictures hanging on the door. All of them were of Landon. Some were of both of us. But I couldn’t stand it. I ripped all of the pictures out and shoved them down into the bottom of my backpack. I got my biology book and bawled my way to the class room. My teacher took the neon pink pass that I handed her and told me to copy down what is on the board.


I sat in my seat and took out the last piece of paper from my red notebook and started to copy the notes. Without even noticing, I doodled around the margin of my paper. I was writing what I usually wrote, Mrs. Delilah Jameson with a heart around it. As soon as I noticed, I screamed at myself in my head and quickly erased it. I tried to keep my mind off of him all day, but it didn’t work. Everyone walking by me saying they are so sorry, and the school even hung posters to remember him by. It was horrible.


I sorrowfully walked home. I was alone. No one was here to hold my hand anymore. No one is her to tell me they love me anymore. And no one is here to kiss me with as much feeling as Landon anymore. When I got to my door, I stood in the exact place where I was when he first kissed me and told me he loved me. I whaled with horror and ran to my room. I slammed my door shut so I could mourn in peace. When I had finally calmed down, darkness had taken over the town. I turned off my light and slowly drifted to sleep. I was having a dream, I was reliving the first day I met Landon in the fourth grade. He was adorable; I saw the joy come to my face the moment he talked to me at recess. I even saw the happiness in his face when I talked back and didn’t ignore him like the others. I knew it was love a first sight. It just took me a little longer to figure it out than others.


I flinched awake to my buzzing alarm clock in the morning, went to another horrible day of school, came home, cried, slept, and dreamt again. This time it was him lying in the hospital bed, with all the cords attached to him. It was our last words to each other. I am so very thankful that I at least go to say goodbye to my one and only true love.


I lived my life like that for months, slowly drifting away from any acquaintances that I might have had, and secluded myself from others, only to get farther away from Landon and my memories of him. He left me with a huge empty hole in the middle of my chest. I felt I had to hold myself together or else I would fall apart and tumble to the ground.


One day, near the end of my terrible freshman year of high school, I get sick. I’m puking and have high fevers. I have been out of school for 6 days. My mom takes me to the urgent care hospital, the same one where Landon was taken after his accident. The doctor does the usual. He checks my throat, shines the light in my eyes and looks inside my ears. But then he took some weird tests and I’m not sure why. I was pretty sure it was just a touch of the flu. But my mom and the doctor were uncertain. There was a bruise on my leg from about 2 months ago when I tripped walking home. It never went away. The doctor seemed suspicious. After about five of six tests, I went home with my frantic mother. She was waiting for the doctor to call back with the results of the tests.


Soon a week passes and I’m still out of school. My mom gets a call from the hospital. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but I knew it wasn’t good. With each second passed fear and pain crept onto my mother’s pale white face. It was horrible to watch. She finally hung up the phone and burst into tears. She announced the news to my father and I in our living room. It was very hard for her to say it between sobs, but she got it out. And it was understood that one of my tests came out positive for cancer. As if my life wasn’t bad enough. I fell to the hardwood floor and pounded on it as if it was going to take my leukemia away. It wasn’t. I cried until I couldn’t cry anymore. I screamed until I couldn’t scream anymore.


I went back to school for the remaining week or so. I didn’t tell anyone the news; I didn’t want to be treated differently or stared at like a monster in a freak show. That wasn’t my plan. My plan was to live inconspicuously until I die form this horrible disease. I just have to wait until I get out of high school.


The last day of freshman year is finally here. So there will be no more worrying about who sees me cry over my love, Landon. I walked home, as usual, but today was different, I felt like e was being followed by someone. I didn’t hear footsteps or see anything when I turned around, but I felt some kind of presence around me. I got a little scared so I began to walk faster home.



I made it to my door and once again, I felt it, but it was stronger now, then I realized I was in the exact spot of when I first kissed Landon and where it all began. I stepped into my door, but now not only did I feel the presence, I heard someone talking to me. It was a low whisper so I wasn’t positive. I ignored it and walked up to my room, which is where the voice got louder and clearer. It sounded like someone I knew. Someone I dare not remember. It sounded like Landon Jameson…


I followed the voice to my lime green and bright pink bedspread. It was telling me to come closer, I was unsure. But I listened. I sat down on the edge of my bed carefully, not wanting to bother it…whatever it was.


As I sat, I felt something touch my hand, like it was trying to hold it. I knew it was a ghost. I knew it was Landon; I had the feeling again in the pit of my stomach. He was talking to me.

“Hi, Delilah” he said it so casually, like he wasn’t a see through ghost sitting on my bed, holding my hand and talking to me.

“Um…”I hesitated, “Hi…”

“It’s me, Landon. Do you remember?” He asked, as if I could forget the one true love of my life.

“Yes, I remember.” I was holding back tears by now. Not sure if they were from fear or happiness. I was too nervous to tell.

“How have you been, Delilah?”

“Um okay I guess.” I was getting more and more nervous. Was this really happening to me? Am I dreaming? All these questions popped into my head at once, I almost screamed.

“That’s good; Delilah,” he was hesitant, “but you may have noted something odd about me.” He probably noticed the strange looks on my face.

“Y-yeah, you’re very pale, and, and alive!” that’s all it took and tears came rolling down the sides of my pale cheeks without end.

The author's comments:
its not done yet, so this is all i have.