Homecoming | Teen Ink

Homecoming

By Paige__Kohlman BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Paige__Kohlman BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

When homecoming was announced to the whole school, the newly junior highly doubted she was going to attend. This would be her third year going and every year before she was missing one thing– a date. Every year like clockwork, it’s new girls getting giddy hoping that some guy will ask them, then being disappointed when one doesn’t. Not this year. Walking to her locker she might as well have been trampled by friends as they were gushing about homecoming and what dresses they wanted to get, who they wanted to ask them, etc. etc. 

I knew it. Just like clockwork. 

After continuous begging from her friends she finally relented and went dress shopping with them. She thought it was a bit much seeing as homecoming was still a month away, but she did not want to cause her friends to become upset. Store after store, one by one, they all started finding their ‘dream dresses’. 

She turned around to find her friends giving her puppy dog eyes, “No” she stated. They started smiling, “Come on! Just look for a dress; who knows, you might find the perfect dress!”.

Without even sparing them a second look, she started sliding her fingers through the numerous shiny and outrageously short dresses – hearing their excited squeals. 

After trying on more dresses than she can count she was slowly losing hope that she would not be able to find her ‘perfect dress’. Until one was thrown over her door and a quick dash from the person on the other side happened in a blink of an eye. Weird. She looked over the dress and realized it is actually really pretty. She tried it on and didn’t even have to walk out to realize she has never loved a dress more than this one.

She walked out of the dressing room and walked straight to the cashier without sparing a glance to her friends' confused stares and quick footsteps trailing behind her. With questions being thrown left and right she simply stated, “I found the dress”. 

The day of the dance. No date. It didn’t really matter though because she has her friends. Once she got to the dance they all started congressing to the middle, dancing wildly and ignoring the judging stares – no care in the world. Even though she was having a blast she felt like something was missing. Being too caught up in her head she didn't realize she started moving backwards. All of a sudden she tripped and flung back. As she was about to hit the ground she suddenly felt arms wrapping around her. When she opened her eyes it was like time stopped. Looking down at her was the most gorgeous brown eyes. 

She recognized the boy but they had never spoken. She let out a laugh when she realized the situation. What she didn’t realize was that all of this was planned by the boy. The dress, putting his foot out behind her so he can be her ‘knight in shining armor’. It was a fairytale come true.

i love romance movies and decided to write about a story of a girl that ends up finding someone at homecoming.