A Wedding’s Second Shot | Teen Ink

A Wedding’s Second Shot

By eeemak BRONZE, Newport Beach, California
eeemak BRONZE, Newport Beach, California

Rushing with his camera in tow, the photographer burst into the church, mumbling under his breath as he made his way toward the main room. George had been hired to photograph Laura, whose family he was rather close with, and her groom at her second wedding— to his utter horror. It pained him to hear that Laura had given up on her past marriage so readily.

He sulked towards his seat and began to set up his equipment.

Married life for him and his late wife Sophie was rather flawed as relationships tend to go, but they stuck it out,”’ till death do us part.” That is what they said, and that is what they did. He inspected the couple's engagement photo next to his seat.

The mother of the bride appeared at his side.

“She didn’t even try Maria,” he muttered, exasperated.

She pursed her lips and fiddled with her finger’s diamond.

“Y’know George,” she sighed, glancing at her daughter's photograph,” sometimes you’re lucky to get it right the first time” She fixed onto his ring,” We got it right the first time George, you and me, we got it right, me with John, you with Sofie, but they didn’t. Does that really make this wrong?”.

He stared at the floor. He didn’t know.

Did it matter if she got it wrong the first time? Didn’t she still have an honor to uphold?

“But then what’s the point of marriage anyway?” he thought.

He recalled the moment he told his Sofia he’d be by her side forever, how her grin spread from ear to ear, without a care in the world how the camera would capture her, how she dashed down the aisle to the dismay of his future in-laws, and how her eyes sparkled as he slid the ring on her finger.

He paused; he didn’t marry or stay with her out of duty or honor. He did it because he loved her. And if this was love for Laura if she just needed another try to find what he had…

The organ erupted in a triumphant wedding march.

“No,” he shook his thoughts away. It was still wrong; he was sure of it.

But then he saw her, Laura, same person, same ceremony. Except now, as the music got louder, as a wide toothy smile spread across the bride's lips and as the groom shed a tear. He saw something he hadn’t seen before. There was an excitement, a buzz. She practically dashed down the aisle, eyes sparkling. And unlike before, where she had stood so many years ago, now she looked like his Sofie. Now, she looked ready.

Laura caught a glance at the camera, winked, and mouthed a thank you.

”Either I’m delusional, or you, the great George Anderson, just smiled,” Maria chuckled.

He scoffed, blushing,” Certainly delusional.”

He angled the camera as Laura and the groom stood facing one another, giddy and loving.

“I now pronounce you husband and wife!”.

Click!

With the rise of divorce and remarriage, I found it intriguing to tackle the topic of its benefits. The act allows a person a second chance, while before its popularity, you were often stuck with one with whom you felt no genuine connection. The story's core message is a celebration of having the ability to try one's hand at love once more.