Banana | Teen Ink

Banana

By KariH BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
KariH BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Leah was only a freshman in high school and she was quieter than most. She had also fallen into the loop of falling for a popular kid. His name was Devon, Leah called him Banana. She has had many crushes in the past, each nicknamed after a fruit. But Devon was special, he stook around since the 7th grade. 

She was standing outside of the school, the sky was orange with wisps of pink. She was walking inside of the building, and there he was. He held the door open. Leah and Devon never got to really know each other but they would glance at one another and occasionally exchange small talk.

It had been an hour since she saw him and she had to see him in her next block. Her cheeks grew hot. She was embarrassed of this “small” crush, he made her mind do twirls. 

She walked alone to her next class. Leah would have skipped, but this was the only time she would see him. Leah sat in the back, right next to Devon. She watched him as he walked through the doorway. He just looked at her and only her, as if his eyes locked to her. As Devon sat, she could only smell his cologne, it was an overbearing smell of pepper, but she grew to love it.

She felt his eyes on her. They were an hour into math when she heard him whisper.

“Hey, do you want gum?” His eyes were looking away from her.

Leah looked over at him, her heart skipped a beat. “Uh…yea, sure.”

After that interaction, Leah felt time fly and next thing she knew school was out and the only thing she remembered was how nervous he looked.

Leah had to wait for her grandpa to pick her up, they were going out to eat. It was going to take awhile since her grandpa had to pick up her cousins at the middle school.

“Hey Leah,” Devon’s voice rang.

Leah looked over from the bench she was sitting on. “Yeah?” 

He looked her up and down. “Are you waiting for someone?”

“Yeah.”

“Could I join you? I mean I’m waiting for someone too and I want to talk to you, you know since we don’t really talk,” he said as he looked at the floor.

Leah felt confused at his words, what's wrong with him? “Uhm, yeah I think I’d like that,” her face grew hot, now looking like a tomato.

They talked for what felt like an hour. She had heard his sweet laugh, it was a symphony. *Buzz* Leah's phone went off, it was her grandpa. She stood up slowly, not wanting to leave the moment. “I have to go,” her face was bright pink.

She started to walk out the door. Devon grabbed her arm. His eyes burned the ground, cheeks bright pink. “Here's my number,” his eyes hit hers. “I liked talking to you, hopefully we talk again.”

I based this peice off of my friend and her crush. It has 495 words and isn't super sappy but I think its cute and will leave you wanting more.