Heartbreak | Teen Ink

Heartbreak

December 16, 2023
By Anonymous

Today is an extremely special day. Oliver Thomas and I have been dating for a year now. He has gorgeous golden hair with perfect teal eyes, but appearances aren't what attracts me. His radiant smile; the mischievous twinkle in his shimmering teal eyes; his energy and enthusiasm; and most of all I admired him for his talent in sports. 

As my accustomed surroundings blurred to focus, the dazzling sun stinging my aquamarine eyes, I abruptly stood up. Matching my hopeful mood, the ethereal scene that unfolded before my eyes was extremely breathtaking : the shimmering sea reflecting the gleaming sun and the azure sky with alabaster seagulls, pure white like a dove. Marvelling at the idyllic landscape, I basked in the feeling of happiness and hope in the warm sunshine, oblivious that this would be the worst day of my life. 

I had planned a romantic candlelight dinner - the classic - I knocked on his wooden door but there was no answer. The door was unlocked so I walked in right in time to witness Oliver with another girl but the three words that formed on his lips “I can explain… “ didn’t matter, nothing mattered anymore. Staring at the glimmering effulgence of the girl that Oliver was with, a rebellious tear slipped down my rosy cheeks and I ran. Away from him, away from my feelings for him, away from everything in this world. 

I felt empty inside, like there was an endless void sucking my emotions out of me, and I was grateful for it. I didn't want to miss his comforting presence, his laughter echoing through the halls, his smile on his face or the taste of his lips anymore. 

I wanted an end. An end for everything. I was foolish, I didn’t think. 

I committed suicide. 

Only now, I can see the truth and it is my biggest regret. As I gaze at Oliver, living in the world below, the world that I once lived in.