The Last Summer | Teen Ink

The Last Summer

December 14, 2023
By Anonymous

In the long summer days of August, a girl found herself living for the hope of it all. For the what ifs and what could be. She never considered herself one to participate in illicit affairs, but then again, she never considered herself one to fall in love in the first place. To her, love was something fanciful, only existing within the pages of books she read so often. Never would she have imagined meeting him. But as fast as waves crashed by the shore, or wind blew sand in her hair; the warm breeze of August carried him in. And before she knew it, her days were filled with him and only him. James. Maybe if she had known that August would slip away, into merely a moment of time, she would not have looked twice in his direction. But that was only maybe, and this story is not composed of maybes. 
The passion that was born from that first glance, was fated to die with the arrival of the new school year. Both Augustine and James were to return to their respective schools; she spent her days worrying whether he would call once they were back at school. She thought she had him. Now she knows it was all lost in the memories. Longing stares made the wanting enough. For her it was enough; she believed that she never needed anything more. Enclosed by the rusted doors and peeling wood, the cabin provided a private oasis where their love had bloomed. Whispers of “are you sure?” floated through the humid air of the cabin. The same whispers that led her to cancel plans, waiting for his call saying, “meet me behind the mall.” Driving on the cobblestone streets, she found him and told him to “get in the car.” Summer days were all this was. 
As fall carefully trudged around the corner, her fear of losing him heightened. He had become her town, but as more sunsets hid behind the horizon, she began to feel exiled. What she was yet to find out was that he was not hers to lose. School had started and much to her tragic surprise, he never called. 


The author's comments:

Writer’s Note: Throughout my years in high school, I took many courses, entered numerous classrooms, had the privilege of meeting influential staff members, and witnessed the coming and going of some friends, but there was one thing that remained consistent: Taylor Swift. I do not particularly consider myself nearly qualified to judge any musical talent, but I will go far enough to say that I consider Taylor Swift to be a lyrical genius. It has been said in movies, novels, and songs that high school is either the best years of your life or the worst, but I believe high school is whatever you make it to be. Likewise, most creative works, including albums, are open to the interpretation of the listeners. The album Folklore by Taylor Swift depicts the ideas of love, heartbreak, innocent immaturity, and loss all in one epic masterpiece.  The following is a narrative written from the perspective of a teenage girl living in the world of Folklore. Enjoy.