More Than Friends | Teen Ink

More Than Friends

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

Amy and Lily became friends in the third grade. Lily was a unique girl, with pink-dyed hair, big glasses, and an eclectic wardrobe. They bonded over winning a dodgeball game against the boys, and their shared love for sports continued throughout middle school. Amy joined the volleyball team while Lily joined the soccer team, and they both became cheerleaders. Despite their closeness, they were fiercely competitive and had frequent arguments, but they always made up and grew even closer as a result. 

During Amy's freshman year of high school, her mother discovered that Amy had feelings for Lily. Her mother was outraged but didn't reveal that she knew about Amy's secret. Instead, she started taking Amy to church twice a week in an attempt to rid her of what she perceived as sinful thoughts. However, her efforts were in vain. On homecoming night, Amy told her mother she was going on a date with a guy, but when she saw that it was Lily in a stunning orange and purple dress, she was shocked.

Amy hadn’t told Lily about her feelings for her, instead, masking the whole night as a ‘friends’ date. A week later, Amy sat on the bed of Lily, desperately holding in a dorky smile as she pressed her hands to her cheeks, trying not to stare at Lily in her soccer uniform. Lily turned around, “You know, I’ve been thinking about something a lot here lately.”

“Yeah, what might that be? When you should finally wash your lucky socks?” Amy replied with a snicker.

“I will throw my lucky socks at you if you keep bringing them up, Amy. I’m serious.” She sat down on the bed and lay down, looking at Amy. “But in all seriousness, I’ve had something on my mind for a while now. I’ve been thinking about how to bring it up to you, but nothing makes sense anymore. I don’t know what to say around you.” She inhaled and closed her eyes. “I think . . . I think I might be falling in love with you, Amy.”

Amy’s face turned beet red, and she hugged Lily. “I’m already in love with you.” Tears began to flow freely down her face as she sniffled and backed away from Lily. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know how to tell you!” She tried to say as she saw Lily’s stunned expression. Lily's stunned expression turned into a warm smile as she reached out to hold Amy's hand. 

"You don't have to be sorry, Amy. I feel the same way." They sat there in silence for a moment, overwhelmed with emotions before Lily leaned in and kissed Amy on the lips. It was a gentle kiss, but it spoke volumes about their feelings for each other. From that moment on, they were a couple, and their love only grew stronger as they navigated the rollercoaster of high school together. They both knew that they had found something special in each other, and they cherished every moment of it.