An Unbreakable Bond Between Friends | Teen Ink

An Unbreakable Bond Between Friends

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

I’ve known you since third grade. I was sitting alone, reading a book about snakes, and you came over to me and asked, “Isn’t that what gummy worms look like?” Ever since that moment, I knew we’d be great friends.

We sat on the bench outside of the school during recess, talking about the newest comic book to release, or the cool-looking sunset we saw last night. We’d make up new games to play when the basketballs and soccer balls ran out. I’d sneak books outside and help you study for the upcoming maths test. You’d bring flashcards to help me practise for my Battle of the Books competition. We were always together. 

But then we had our elementary school graduation. As I walked across the stage to receive a presidential award, you were sitting beside your other brother in the band section, trying not to steal his trumpet. But you were always there to support me, and I was always there for you.

Elementary school had quickly turned to middle school, but you and I were still together, crying when we didn’t have homeroom together, and laughing when we saw that I was looking at my schedule upside down. 

As the days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, a year passed. Coronavirus hit. We couldn’t see each other in person anymore, but we always emailed each other every day. Instead of preparing for the upcoming summer break, you suggested that we set up a Minecraft server for us to play in. 

When we were finally allowed to come back to school, the first thing I did was look for you. Even though I couldn’t see your smile, I knew that you had one brimming. Your mask was a shiny Eevee.

But then, high school came, and suddenly, you were gone. You stopped answering my emails, and your brother wouldn't respond either. I held onto the hope that you'd reach out, but months passed and I heard nothing. I realised then that our friendship had come to an abrupt end. It broke my heart to think that after so many years, we had grown apart.

But then, one day, I saw you again. In between classes, I saw you. You were there. You saw me. You dropped your bag from your hands, spilling that awful blend of apple and pineapple juice onto my shoes. Even from where I stood, I could see tears in your eyes.

“I moved!” You tried to say in between sobs. "I'm so sorry!" The people around us stopped and stared, but we didn’t care. We were finally back together again. But I had to transfer out after that semester. But you were still there. Your email from years past had been terminated, as had your brother’s. But you were so determined to make it back. And I was determined to see you again. And our determination paid off.