A Love Found Late In Life | Teen Ink

A Love Found Late In Life

I stepped out of my cozy little townhome on quite the sunny afternoon, my Maltese, Blanca, happily wagged her tail, excited for our daily stroll around the town. Our quaint little coastal town had always been oh so lovely. We felt the sea breeze, heard the seagulls, and patronized the young entrepreneur selling lemonade on the way to the local grocery store.

I plucked, picked, and perused, searching for some items on my shopping list when a friendly face caught my eye. A man around my age, with an expression sweeter than sugar, approached me. He introduced himself as Henry and struck up an entertaining conversation with me. I found myself smiling, laughing, and enjoying myself! Blanca took to him quickly, welcoming all the pets and rubs he gave her. As we talked, he mentioned a new restaurant that just opened nearby and invited me out to dinner that evening. I got butterflies at the proposal, but ultimately refused. I was comfortable in my solitude and the thought of bursting that bubble had me wrought with anxiety.

“Thank you, Henry, but I’m quite fine on my own.” I gently declined with a smile. He respected my decision and bid me farewell. I could not help but be annoyed with myself as he walked away. I quietly paid for my items and walked home with Blanca and my groceries.

As the late night approached, my once cozy townhome felt cold and empty. Blanca’s company was lovely, but talking to Henry made me realize human interaction could do me some good. The next morning, I woke up hopeful that I would see Henry again, and I would not reject him this time. As I approached the same grocery store, hoping I would find him, I saw him waiting outside already looking at me. With a knowing smile he greeted me as if he were expecting me. “I was hoping I’d run into you again.” He said happily.

“Well look at you” I joked, blushing.

“Would you like to join me for breakfast?” he asked. I did not hesitate with a yes, this time. With a hopeful heart and a lighter step, I took his offered arm and walked with him toward the restaurant. That ended up being the best decision I’ve ever made.

My story is about an older woman finding love later in her life. I think it will pull at the heartstrings of the teenagers that read Teen Ink.