Disappearing Love | Teen Ink

Disappearing Love

By Akira-Imani BRONZE, St.louis, Missouri
Akira-Imani BRONZE, St.louis, Missouri

Disappearing Love 

Kilala was her name. The name of a beautiful mixed girl in the 11th grade. She was 5’3 and petite with the pretty dark brown curls that had now naturally faded to blond at the tips, as it did every summer. With the biggest deep brown eyes, paired with the longest most luxurious natural lashes. They were just now coming back to school after summer break so Kilala had this beautiful golden brown tan from the summer sun. She was absolutely stunning to the eye and many guys wanted her. Although sadly they couldn't have her because she had already been snatched up last summer by her boyfriend Santiago. He was a 5 '9 Mexican boy with thick black hair and the most beautiful light brown eyes. . They had now officially been together for a little over a year. Kilala loved Santiago so much he was everything she needed and more. Although she may have been a lot to deal with, Santagio loved her just as much as she loved him… or so she thought. 

“Good Morning Santi”, Kilala said 

“Good Morning beautiful” Santiago growed over the phone. 

“Okay now that you're up i'm going to finish getting ready then i'll be on my way to pick you up, and you better not go back to sleep because i will leave you Santi.” 

“ Yea yea im up and i'll be ready don't you worry” Santiago said in the same groening voice as before. 

Once they arrived at school, they headed to their classes. This day was no different than any other they had had this year. They met up after every class to walk together as usual. Until they got home. 

“Hey Santi I just got home wyd?” Kilala texted Santiago. 

“Nothing just hanging out with my sisters” Santiago replies 

“Okay, well call me when you get the chance,” Kilala said. In about an hour or so Santiago called. 

“Hey Kila I wanna talk to you about something” He said in kind of a worried tone 

“Sure what is it?”  Kilala said in confusion.

“So I would just like to tell you that my sisters have a new friend, Dianna, that comes around and I just wanted to tell you so you dont think I'm hiding anything”  said Santiago. 

“Okay I understand but I don't want you talking to her. I know your sisters are friends with her but I would appreciate it if you kept the talking to a minimum.” Kilala said as began to feel jealous. 

“Okay I will, I'll do anything to make you feel comfortable,” he said.

“Thank you Santi,” Kilala said she knew Santiago was going to respect her but she still always got this feeling that one day he wouldn't.

The next day after practice she texted Santiago but it took him much longer to respond than usual. 

4:15 Kila- “Hey Santi i just got out of practice call me when you see this text.” 

“I wonder why he hasn't responded, has something happened to him, is he okay?” Kilala thought to herself as she kept checking her phone to see if he had responded. Then finally a text DING. 

8:05 Santi- “I'm so sorry Kila i was busy let me call you, just give me a few minutes” 

“Hey sorry I was just hanging out with some friends wyd?” Santiago texted at 8:15. 

“What friends? And I'm just watching netflix” Kilala texted in response. 

“Oh no one important just my sister and Dianna and Dianna’s older sister” 

“Santiago what did I say? I told you that I don't like that you hang out with her, especially because I can obviously tell she likes you” Kilala texted angrily.

“But she has a boyfriend so it doesnt matter and why are you using my full name you never call me that” 

“Because Santiago I am mad at you and you think that this is okay thats the problem you said you respect me and that I wouldn't have to worry about this but I obviously do because now look at you your hanging out with a girl that likes you and the fact that this makes me upset doesn't bother you” 

“But Kila”

“No Santiago this conversation is done” Kilala couldn't believe that Santiago had gone behind her back and did this to her and not only that but that he also saw nothing wrong with it. 

“I'm not about to beg for you to respect me. Either you respect me or you don't choose if you want to stay with me or not!” 

Santiago had not respected Kilala’s boundaries and what she asked of him. She couldn't believe that he had left her worried for 4 HOURS and meanwhile he was hanging out with HER, and he hadn't even bothered to text Kilala while he was hanging out with Dianna and that was what made Kilala so furious. Which had now caused her to give him an ultimatum to either choose her or Dianna. 

The next day Santiago walked up to Kilala after school. 

“What do you want, Santi? '' Kilala said in a stern voice.

“Can we please talk?” Santiago said desperately. 

“No Santi we can't talk. I tried to talk to you in the beginning and tell you I didn't like her and then you said you would keep everything to a minimum then the next day you go and hang out with her, WILLINGLY!” Kilala said, now starting to raise her voice. “AND…” she said, stopping herself mid-way. “You know this isn't worth my energy. All I need to know Santi is, me or her?” Kilala said, looking into Santiago's eyes. 

“You Kilala, you, you and a million times more, you, your all i want i'm sorry i ever disrespected you”  

“Thank you Santi but i'm letting you know now don't ever let me find out anything has happened between you two or all hell will break loose” Kilala said while still being mad at Santi. 

Then time passed and things got better. They had gone to homecoming together, prom, they had made it through a whole nother school year together and happier than ever. Now it was the summer before they even knew it. 

Even though Dianna was persistent Santiago still refused to talk to her at all. Until the next school year. Everything was going just as it did every year but there was one problem running through Santiago's mind. The fact that he now had a class with Dianna.

It had been 2 months since school started now and the class with Dianna was going great. Santiago hadn't talked to her at all. Until Santiago walked in on one regular morning to his general foods class to the teacher saying they had new assigned seats. When he looked at the board he froze in shock, HE WAS PLACED RIGHT NEXT TO DIANNA. He knew this was bad. Really really bad.  

To his surprise everything was going fine the first few weeks with these new seats, but everything went downhill when Santiago and Kilala started having relationship problems. Dianna saw how visibly upset Santiago had been the past couple days and knew that this was her chance. 

“Hey I know we don't talk anymore but you seem very upset. What's wrong?” Dianna said with a worried face. “I know this isn't my place but for the record I never wanted to get in between you and your girlfriend. I just wanted to be friends with you and as your friend I care so what's wrong?” 

“Nothing, Dianna, leave me alone,” Santiago said in a stern voice, not making eye contact or even looking in Dianna's direction. 

As the semester went on Dianna was persistent she continued to show Santiago how much she cared till he cracked. “Why are you always so upset in class Santiago? If something is wrong you can talk to me. I can help, '' Dianna said while touching Santiago's hand that was placed on the table next to his laptop. 

Santiago paused… but after thinking about it he said “I just don't understand why she's always so mad” 

“What do you mean?” Dianna said, pretending to care about their relationship.

“Well she just always gets mad at me about the smallest things like when I don't compliment her enough or that I don't act how I used to and all these other things and I am just so tired of it and I just feel so stressed out” Santiago rambled out. He hasn't told anyone about what was going on in his relationship with Kilala, so now that someone asked him he felt like all of the last few months was just spilling out like a faucet. 

“Well I know we can't talk about it all right now, but my mom is cooking dinner later if u wanna come over and just rant to me, I'll always listen” Dianna said looking into Santiago's eyes. 

Santiago figured that it wouldn't hurt to just talk about his feelings since when he just did it, it felt nice to get it off his chest. So he said “Sure, I guess”. 

But when he went to her house they did a lot more than talking, he had never planned to because he loved Kilala and wanted to be with her but one thing led to another and it just happened. Looking back at what happened after he woke up the next day he realized that he could never EVER talk to Dianna again. So he talked to his counselor, got his seat moved in that class and carried on as if it never happened. Then one day Kilala, his girlfriend came over for dinner and a movie.  

“Hey Santi let's make tik tok’s” Kilala said as she was reaching for Santiago's phone. 

“No,”  Santiago said as he snatched away from Kilala.

“Why are you hiding something?” Kilala said questioning Santiago. 

“No I just…” Santiago began to say before Kilala cut him off. 

“Then let me see if you're not hiding anything,” Kilala said, getting more and more suspicious of Santiago.
“Okay, I'm going to go to the bathroom, I'll be back in a second” Santiago said nervously.

As she opened his phone it looked normal as always but she checked his messages and suddenly it all hit her. She realized exactly what he was hiding. Dianna. They had been talking for over 3 months now without Kilala’s knowledge. Oh and they were not just talking no, of course not, they weren't they were doing much more. Kilala saw it all with her own eyes. Kilala was currently filled with rage. She didn't know what she was going to do but for one sure thing is that she was PISSED at Santiago. 

Santaigo came back from the bathroom to Kilala crying. “Kila what wrong” he said 

“Santiago, don't ask me what's wrong. Don't ask me anything for that matter. Actually I don't even know why I'm still here.” Kilala said as tears were filling her eyes but not from sadness, from rage, as she headed for the door. 

“No kila-” Santiago said as he grabbed Kilala’s arm. SLAP. Kilala pulled her hand away from Santiago so fast and with her other hand slapped him as hard as she could. He stumbled back in surprise. 

“DON'T TOUCH ME. DON’T LOOK AT ME. DON’T TALK TO ME. Santiago me and you are over. I never want to see you again and don't worry you are never going to have to worry about seeing me again.” Kilala screamed in his face. Then she walked to her car and Santiago was chasing after her begging and pleading with her to calm down but at this point she was ignoring him. She got into her car and began to drive off but Santiago jumped in front of her car before she could. 

“Stop Kila, just talk to me” Santiago said standing in front of her car now. 

“Santiago no and don't call me that anymore you don't deserve it, and while you're at it get from in front of my car because i'm not afraid to run you over” Kilala said as she inched her car closer to where Santiago was standing. Then Kilala held up her end of the deal when Santiago didn't move she slammed on the gas to run him over but before she could hit him he jumped out of the way and watched her speed off into the distance. 

He tried to contact her but she never answered. She blocked him. Until he saw the news the next day SHE WAS MISSING. It was her mom on the news begging her to come back home. Weeks, months, even years went by and she was never found.

I am a 16 year old girl and I love to write. I usually write poetry but this is a short story and my creative writing teacher is the person who told me I should submit it.