freedom | Teen Ink

freedom

It was raining. Pouring, to say the least. The streets were an ocean at this point. She took a slow strides in her white heels. Her hair and light pink dress soaked, with no idea where it was going. She was about to walk past a restaurant, under some sort of patio thing. There he was sitting when he noticed her. He undeniably noticed her, as if it was almost impossible to miss her. Though in his defense, she looked like a mystery, as her chin lifted to look at the raining sky. She was about to walk by when he wondered what he should do. The cigar in his mouth found its way to the nearby ashtray as he spoke, 

“You alright, ma’ma” he asked politely. Her head tilted down slightly to look at him. 

“Yes, I am.”

“You don't have an umbrella and it’d be very rude of me not to offer you a helping hand.” 

She observed this man a bit. He looked to be older than her. 

“28? 29?” She thought to herself. He wore black head to toe, and his hair looked grown out never the least combed back.

“It would be very rude of me to decline such an offer.” She playfully ridiculed him and smiled while leaning a bit on the railing of the restaurant. He hummed in response and stood up making direct eye contact with her. He picked up the umbrella and opened it, placing it over her. 

“Very well then, where exactly are we walking to?” he asked

“I have no clue,” she responded.

“You mean to tell me you've been wandering aimlessly around?” 

“Not quite, I'd like to say sightseeing.”

“Sightseeing the rain, we are?”

She laughed and stared at the man before they began to walk. It was strange, normally she would have been dismissive, but with everything that went on the day. She did not care plus there was something intriguing to him.

“Is there a specific place you're going off to?” she asked.

He thought a bit, mainly because he wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to tell her. The real reason for where he had planned to go. Without turning his head his eyes averted to the side, and downward to look at her, she was around his height and wore dainty jewelry.

“I'm just in town for a while.” he finally stated.

Her eyes lingered on him, curiously. 

“I'm finalizing my divorce.”

Ah, well that was not what she expected. See the expression on her face. He internally smacked himself for oversharing. One of his bad habits he had tried getting rid of. 

“You don't look to be at an age where you'd be married,” she said flatly.

He laughed one of those airy laughs while mustering up.

“I'm 36.” 

Her focus switched from him to the gray sky and dying rain. She smiled to herself before reality began to sink in. They were still walking around aimlessly. She had no place to go nor a place to spend the night. That's what happens when you take all your money and randomly decide to disappear from one city to another. Oh well, she was finally on her own. She had never felt more free in her life. Instead of stressing or figuring out “how” or “ why”. She decided to let herself enjoy her newfound freedom. On the rainy street, coincidentally alongside a quite good-looking guy. What she didn't know was he was embarking on his journey to release at the very exact moment she was. Funny how the world works sometimes.