#Gralli | Teen Ink

#Gralli

September 10, 2023
By ZaideeLaine77 BRONZE, Colton, Washington
ZaideeLaine77 BRONZE, Colton, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubt and the stupid ones are full of confidence," --Charles Bukowski


       Alethea felt the breeze nip at her nose and shoulders as she walked along the high-path. All she could do was shiver, her body's way of explaining her dire need for heating. She refused to believe she was helpless, lost, or in need of any saving. She didn't want help. She didn't want anyone's help. She really wanted to be independent and strong like she knew she was. She knew that nobody else believed she could be not after her breakdown at the Thank's Giving dinner event her parents had dragged her to.

      She held her arms crossed as she walked the path deep into the surrounding forests. She didn't have any sense in direction. She had no clue where she was. Her mouth could only fall agape when she reached a vast and open field of wild lilies and daisies. Every imaginable flower in this forever-stretching land. With every step closer to this magical garden she got a stronger waft of the sweet scent. All her worries drifted from her mind and suddenly she found herself calm. Her eyes glanced around her at the beauty of nature, one that she felt he did not belong in. A girl like her didn't belong in the mist of the most lovely garden arrangement, under the purest moonlight and sparkling stars, She thought.

     "I was hoping to be the first to show you this," a familiar voice arose from behind her. A soft, caring, gentle voice. She found herself startled at the noise. Althea didn't want to see him. But she was s relieved to be in his presence that her wants and needs crossed paths and she came to a consensus. She needed him there. 

     He stood awkwardly a few feet behind her, wearing his orange sweater and blue jeans that he was wearing that night at dinner. His sweater really brought out the leafy specks in his emerald eyes even in the moonlight. The night had cast an luminous shine on his messy hair and lightened Alethea's tense mood. "You knew about this place?"

     "Stumbled upon it a few months ago, in a similar way as you," Griffen glanced around at the intense, colorful, vacant garden. "You know they're just picky. They do believe in you more than they seem. They are just--well, picky?"

     "By picky you mean that they don't particularly approve of my career choices? They don't think my company will take off because of it's silly appeal. They don't think I'm good enough for you or for anything and my own parents agree," a turn of her head indicated her own sorrow and sadness. The overwhelming disappointment she felt in herself had become a burden.

     "I don't care what anyone thinks, I believe in you," Griffen came closer to her and wrapped his arms tightly around her waist. "You are the best fashion designer I know, you've already made it so far on your own. If anything, all this support is just weighing you down. You are so strong and independent. You don't need their support so don't let it stop you."

     "You really think so? I mean I have lost all inspiration and I don't know what to do. I'm staring a fashion brand from the ground and I have no ideas. They are sounding more right about me by the minute," Alethea began spiraling in doubt and self-destructive thoughts. What if they were right? What if she had nothing to offer to her boyfriend? But he believed in her. 

     "Use me as inspiration," he smiled teasingly, "I'm gorgeous, aren't I?"

     "Really funny. Truly, such a comedian," the sarcasm came off harsh, "But I could use this place," She took an other second to take in the open lushness around her.

     "I believe in you, Alli," Griffen whispered in her ear comfortingly. With all the doubt in the world, even Alli understood his truth.


The author's comments:

     The piece honestly isn't based off of anything that ha happened before. However, the characters are based off of my two close friends who do happen to be together. As a group we love to tease them and emphasize their romance. This is just a dedication to them and a quick tease at their cuteness. --#Gralli