The Breakup | Teen Ink

The Breakup

September 8, 2023
By Anonymous

Chapter 1- Thinking

Today was the day. The day to finally end this relationship for good. I look at myself in the mirror. Tears running down slowly. I couldn’t imagine myself having a future without him. For my own good, it was time to let him go.

My name is Marie, I’m 21 years old. I started dating my current boyfriend (Daniel) ever since we were 15. This relationship just has been way too much for me. I must put myself before anyone else. The only way to be free was to end things for good.

This was going to be our final date. The escape room. I wonder how things are going to end up. I need him to understand the way I feel. There was a nock on my door…I look out the peephole. There he was. Standing there with beautiful tulips in his hands. I start to think hard about my decisions. Starting a new relationship with a whole different person wouldn’t be the same. Maybe better?

“Hey beautiful!”, he says. I look into his eyes. Hurting him would hurt me more. There is it again. Me thinking about other’s feelings instead of mine. I realized this is for my own good. You wonder, why would I want to ruin my relationship? Well. Daniel isn’t what he seems like. Behind closed doors he destroys me mentally. This had made me realize my worth knowing I deserve better. He tends to do this thing. When he knows he’s done something wrong he’ll make up for it. The tulips. Something must’ve happened.

Chapter 2- I’m sorry.

I messed up. Marie will for sure end things after this. We’re 21. What was I thinking. Once you lost someone there’s a possibility, you’ll never get them back. Marie is supposed to be mine. But here we go again, I messed up and I’m realizing what I did. I cheated on her. Nothing will ever make her forgive me. She still doesn’t know, maybe the tulips will hide what I did?

Lying to her would just make me a coward. Owning up to my mistakes will make me lose her for good. I’ll never forgive myself. At the time I wasn’t thinking about anything. Not even about her feelings. All this is haunting me, making me feel worthless for the way I am. Marie has always been there for me. Now that I truly know and can think straight, she’s the only one that’ll ever love me to the fullest.

I can’t tell her. Here we are again. I’m on her doorstep. My palms were sweating. The tulips were filled with lies. Lies that can’t be forgiven. Maybe just maybe this date will save us. The escape room.

 

Chapter 3- Guilty

We look at each other. He seemed to be nervous. I stare into his eyes. Knowing that we’re not meant for each other. “So, what’s up?”, I say. “There’s something I need to tell you…”, “I know nothing will change the past. Or make up for this.”, he says. “But before I tell you. I realize what I did and the consequences that come with it.”. “What are you saying?”, I say. My heart starts to beat so fast. Faster than I can even think. I knew it. The tulips were all a lie.

He cheated. “I cheated”, he says. The world starts to spin so fast around me. I couldn’t even look at him without feeling disgusted. I drop to my knees. Breaking down in front of him. He just stands there, looking down on me. “I’m sorry”, he says. Words couldn’t even come out my mouth. This pain was horrible.

I start to calm down. Thinking to myself. This was the sign to finally break things off. I look at him. Staring into his dark brown eyes. “I’m going to be mature about this. I believe the best thing for us is to end things for good.”, I say. He looks at me with teary eyes. How can he be crying? He did this to himself. What am I supposed to do. Keeping him will end up killing me.

Chapter 4- The Breakup

Looking at the tulips. I take them from his hand aggressively. Throwing them as far as I can. “I understand.”, he says. I understand? I understand? That’s all he says? Knowing the pain, he has put me through. I bet he doesn’t feel bad for anything he did. He doesn’t regret anything. Whatever he did. I hope karma gets him. Nobody deserves this type of hurting. But I somehow deserved it. This pain will make help me better myself. My standards. Never let a person hurt me ever again.

Talking things out wouldn’t even help. The way I feel is not describable. I can’t even come up with words and talk to her. I keep my talking short. I didn’t mean for things to end this way. Seeing her this way was never my intentions. I was supposed to be a good boyfriend. Look at me now. Not even her boyfriend anymore. Watching her. Her reaction, knowing I’ll never find anyone like her. “What did I do to deserve this?”, she says. “It’s not your fault don’t blame yourself.”, I say. “I’m immature, not good enough for you.”.

Knowing things will be different between us. Not ever seeing each other again. “We’re done.”, she say


The author's comments:

This piece is part of the real world. Breakups aren't a beautiful thing that can easily be forgotten or done. Many people suffer through this and it does take a while to heal. It takes 2 people to work for a relationship in order for it to last.