Veronica | Teen Ink

Veronica

September 8, 2023
By 8323432503 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
8323432503 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a Sunday morning, and the city of Paris was looking beautiful. It was sunny that day and the air was fresh, it was perfect weather. Veronica and Louis were spending a siblings day together since most of the time they would work. Veronica was a nurse in a hospital and Louis worked as a pilot. Once they got home, Polo came over. Polo was Louis' best friend and he worked as a part time employee at a café nearby. Polo had a secret which was his art. He enjoyed sketching but thought it was silly. Polo was a tall French boy with the most flattering green eyes that Veronica has laid eyes on. Veronica built a strong crush on him throughout the years but Polo was a bad boy, he would bring many girls over. 

That same night, Louis went to bed early but Veronica and Polo stayed in the living room playing video games. Veronica took her chance and made the first move by kissing him. Polo did not push her back, he instead went for it as well. He whispered in her ear “Your smile is distinctive”. Veronica smiled even bigger at him and continued to kiss him after. It has officially been a week since the situation and one night; Veronica witnessed Polo bringing a girl over but this time was different, he said the same exact words to the girl that he told Veronica the other night. That being so, it bothered Veronica and she was annoyed by it. That week, Veronica attempts to divert her attention by focusing on work only, which helped her grow out of her crush on Polo.

 It was a Saturday night and Louis was out for work which meant Veronica was home alone. Veronica had no work that day and her friend Nailea from work invited her to go clubbing. Veronica is a natural girl who does not get glammed much or goes out due to work. Nailea comes over to help Veronica get glammed up. Suddenly there was a knock at the door, it was Polo. Veronica rushes to open the door and Polo states “I'm here for my-” and his eyes went straight from her feet to her face. She was wearing the most flattering red dress that fit her so well in every inch of her body. Polo’s expression changed quickly and he was in complete shock. His eyes were wide while he licked his lips. Veronica had a red lip that went well with her white teeth that made her smile look stunning. The girls quickly ran out the door since they were already late to catch up with Nailea’s friends, who were waiting downstairs in the car. Polo went back home and the only thing on his mind was Veronica. Polo’s state of mind changed that night. He was falling deeply in love with her. Not only that, he spent many mornings at her department to hang out with Louis just so he could see her. Veronica did not glance at him, not even for a second. She was not interested any more. She hated how selfish and obnoxious he was. 

It was August 3rd, and it was pouring outside that day. Polo decides to invite Veronica for breakfast at his café, he offers her a free coffee and croissant. Croissants were her favorites. Veronica was amazed to know that fact and she noticed how nice he was being. They spent that morning just talking and then they went back home because Veronica wanted to rest that day since she had work later in the afternoon. Polo went back to his apartment and started sketching. It was a sketch of Veronica with her big smile, the smile that had Polo crazy for.

The week before August 3rd, Veronica has been feeling weird and has been unmindful. She would constantly forget her keys or phone. Veronica was once on the phone with a co-worker from the hospital and at the same time she was desperately looking for her phone which was always in her hand. She did not think much of it and would laugh about the situation. She would also forget to close the refrigerator doors after just opening it. She also noticed that she had headaches but would randomly go away.

That same day, Polo decides to confront his feelings towards her and has brought the picture he had sketched of her. It was also getting close to the time for Veronica to start getting ready for work. Polo knocks the door but she don't answer. He decides to get his spare key for their apartment and he continues to walk in. He notices she is still sleeping so he then proceeds to wake her up. She wasn't responding. Her chest wasn't moving up and down. His body went numb at that moment. He quickly gets his phone out and calls 911. He calls Louis and sprays the news. Louis quickly flew to Paris and arrived at the perfect time which was when the doctor called out for Veronica’s family.

It is September 3rd, 2017 and both boys were staring at a grave covered in red roses. It has been officially a month since Veronica left earth in her sleep. Louis was on his knees crying. Polo felt his tears hit his chest like bullets. Louis had to go to work since he was left to pay the bills now. Polo has been depressed that month and tried to commit suicide once but stopped once he saw her sketch on a frame in his room. Therefore, Polo went back to the café and sat at the same exact table where him and Veronica sat. He was admiring her beauty in his sketch. Suddenly a man stands in front of him and asks him if he drew that, Polo responds with a quiet stutter “Oui” which means “yes” in French. The man says no more and leaves his business card with him. Polo noticed the name on the card and it was a popular art museum in Paris. 

On September 4th, 2017; Polo went to go check the art at the museum and the man quickly recognized him and greeted him by showing him the top art masterpieces. Most art pieces were painted, Polo was confused why he would invite him here if he sketches. The man proceeds to take Polo to his office and the man offers him a great opportunity. The man wanted that sketch of Veronica to be posted in his museum, he loved the reality of the image which included her big smile. He also wanted Polo to create more art and to publish it. He offered a spot for Polo. Polo was indecisive so the man told him to think about it.

A couple days had passed by, it was September 10th and Polo accepted the offer. Polo has been working on many pieces and even creates a new art which was only the eyes of Veronica. Of course he received many recognition through his art and he got popular by the months. 

On August 3rd, 2018, Polo returned to her grave, and admired the original copy of the sketch he had originally created of her before moving on to another and publishing it. It has been officially a year since Veronica’s death and Polo was doing what he did best, sketching. Him and Louis were still best friends, Louis was still a pilot and lived in the same apartment. Polo therefore saved up all his savings and bought a new house, and his art room was covered with sketches of Veronica. Mainly a huge portrait of her smile in the center of the room.