Secrets held in the garden | Teen Ink

Secrets held in the garden

By emilyg2006 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
emilyg2006 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

In a far away land there lived a princess named Jessica and she had a secret: she had fallen madly in love with one of her handmaid's one late night in the garden. They got to know each other more and more. 

Every night they would meet in the garden since they knew their love wouldn’t be allowed in the kingdom. They heard the clanks of the knights armor coming since they heard the bush in the gardens, Jessica and her handmaid Natalie hid behind the big rose bushes in hopes the knights wouldn't catch them out past midnight. The princess wasn't allowed to even leave her quarters let alone be out this far out into the night if they were to get caught the consequences for both would be catastrophic. 

Natalie whispers to Jessica 

“Jess I think we may have pushed the stakes too high maybe it's best if we-” 

Jessica interrupts Natalie 

“Nonsense Nat it would be a miracle if the knights were ever to catch us they know i never leave 

my chambers and that your washing clothes remember your mother has a heart of gold she is covering for the both of us ” 

Natalie whispers back to Jessica 

“Jess about that i don't want my mother to get in trouble for the sake of us we have been 

secreting out to garden for almost 12 months now ”

Jessica's eyes were icy

“Nat what are you saying that your gonna abandon me and share  our love to my parents you know what they would say”

Nat shakes her head and lets go of Jessica's hand and walks back to the washers

The next day Jessica had given Natalie a bouquet of the finest roses she could get her hands on to apologize for them secreting on for what felt like forever but Jessica noticed that Natalie had been out of sight Jessica felt her heart sink when she saw Natalie saying her farewells as well as her mother. 

Another palace had hired Natalie to be a dressing maid to a princess in the far west , Jessica ran as fast as she could but she didn't get to bid farewell to Natalie. Jessica knew that one of the knights must have caught a glimpse of Natalie and Jessica in the garden. 

Jessica ran to her parents and pleaded with them to let Natalie come back and stay at the palace.

“Jessica we told you we would accept you however you are we will love you unconditionally” 

said Jessica's mother 

“ Instead you go behind our backs and meet with your own handmaiden in the garden doing lord knows what you went against our backs and hid something huge from us where your parents we love you no matter what” 

Said Jessica's father 

“Natalie is temporarily gone until you figure yourself out and come clean to both me and your father about whatever happened in the garden”

Jessica speaks over her mother raising her voice 

“ NOTHING HAPPENED IN THE GARDEN” 

Jessica's mother stayed quiet, shocked that her daughter would ever raise her voice at her parents.

A week passed of Jessica not speaking to her parents and Jessica was putting on her night robe to sleep when she heard a knock at the door. It was her mother. 

“Jess it's me I wanted to talk to you about the other night and abate the situation. Listen, I know that love is burning flame  and I say this with empathy. So I informed the palace to bring Natalie back first thing in the morning. I know how much you love each other and to be quite honest I've known for a while the way you look at each other with stars in your eyes . i hope you can acquit me and your father for not understanding I love you jess goodnight”

Jessica  and Natalie got married two years later living their best life and Jessica's parents had accepted her Jessica and Natalie lived the rest of their years filled with love and happiness and from then onwards and forever, happiness pervades.