The Diary of a Maniac | Teen Ink

The Diary of a Maniac

Dear Diary,

Today marked a new chapter for me and Lyam, the turning of a new leaf. It was the last day of our couple’s therapy, and I could already feel the love between us consuming my every thought. Oh, how stupid was I to believe he, my Lyam, would ever look at another woman’s direction, let alone be unfaithful to me. My guilt devours my soul, and just the thought that my foolishness has caused Lyam such pain shatters my heart.

Dearest Diary,

Oh, the most exciting thing happened today…a new neighbor. I haven’t witnessed such in a while. I was captivated by him, trying to contain myself. He had an elegant figure and when his mesmerizing eyes met mine, my heart raced with a storm of emotion. I saw him talking to my husband. It seemed like a “Welcome to the neighborhood” type of talk. Nevertheless, oh, what I would give to be in Lyam’s place at that moment and be graced by our neighbor’s majestic essence. His name was Gabriel and he worked as an attorney downtown. Ugh, everything about him is so majestic...how can someone thrive at perfection in such a way? No, no, no, I can’t let these feelings consume me, it wouldn’t be fair to my Lyam...my lovely Lyam.

Dear Diary,

I can’t help but wonder and fantasize about Gabriel. The way his hair falls onto his forehead, the way his lips are the color of the purest cherry blossoms, the way his skin seems the softest yet harshest to pass and reach his heart. I keep finding myself standing behind the mauve living room curtains, trying to go unnoticed while admiring his strong figure behind the ajar glass window of his apartment. I know this is wrong, this feeling, but I can’t help myself. This attraction is irresistible, I can’t stop the thoughts flooding my mind and the desires…like a burning fire through my body without his presence. Oh…but poor Lyam, I still love him, I do…he’s my husband, but I truly can’t help myself. My urge for Gabriel consumes me, devours me entirely. I need him by my side. I need him to be mine.

Dear Diary,

He left his window fully open today, and the placement of his curtains allowed me to have a mesmerizing view of his house. Was this a sign from him…telling me he felt the same, telling me he too…loved me? It must be. He even left an unfinished glass of wine..red wine…on the small table near his window. I hurried over to his home and entered through the back gate. What an idiot, he left it open, what if someone had gotten in? Thank God I was there to save him! I walked over to the table and slowly grasped the glass. It had the imprints of his scrumptious lips along its rim. It was a sign of love, it felt so intimate yet secretive…between just the two of us. I took the glass home, as a sensational artifact of our blossoming love.

Dear Diary,

Today was the day I have been craving for a while…I built up the courage to go up to him. Yes, I finally did it…I talked to him. Isn’t that the most wonderful thing? I saw his car, a black Ford with that tiny bump on the passenger door, enter his driveway. I grabbed a robe and my car keys, I had to make quite the impression to my lover man, and hurried to my car. As I pulled out of my driveway, I saw that friendly smile and those mesmerizing eyes. Trying to let out as simple a word as “hello,” I found myself unable to. I was tongue-tied by his essence, overwhelmed by the smell of his perfume. I found myself stuttering to find words…something he noticed. “Hey there, you” he uttered. “H-h-hey, I’m Genevieve,” I answered. I could feel our chemical romance…we were in harmony…our souls were a singular.

Dear Diary, 

This past week with Gabriel has been nothing but a dream…it feels unreal. Our love is divine and sacred. I can feel myself falling harder for his mesmerizing eyes. Those hypnotizing eyes always seem to take my breath away and overwhelm me with glee. The only problem, however, is Lyam. He can feel the barrier forming in our marriage, and my disinterest in him. Just the other day, he was telling me about his promotion, and I could do nothing but daydream about Gabriel, something which he noticed. He sat in his chair emotionless; he seemed in pain. Believe me, I never wished this pain on him…he has been nothing but the sweetest, but Gabriel is my twin flame. He’s my heart and soul…I can’t allow Lyam to get in the middle of us. It wouldn’t be fair to Gabriel. After all, we are in love. I am consumed by such an overwhelming feeling of passion and love when I’m with Gabriel…a feeling Lyam could never give me. 

Dear Diary,

I have to do something about Lyam. He keeps trying to find the issue in our marriage. Ugh, how idiotic can a man be…can’t he see I’m in love with someone else? Someone who loves me as much as I love them? Lyam keeps trying to get in between our romance…but I won’t allow him to. Something has to be done…and I know just what. Oh, but poor Lyam, how sweet he used to be, how nice and sincere. I feel horrible for having to do this…but I have no other choice. I will always choose him. No one can get in between us. No one.

* * *

As I finished reading Genevieve’s journal, I felt disgusted…I wanted to throw up. How could she? After all we’ve been through?! I even tried therapy for her…I let down my guard…for her. How could she…?

“Gen…what the hell is this?” I asked, petrified, holding that terrorizing notebook in my hand, “What neighbor? No one’s moved to our neighborhood in years! You’re insane! A delusional maniac even! How could you…after everything?”

“Oh, babe…i-it’s nothing, I promise you. You must give it back now. It’s mine,” she said in a calm voice approaching me.

I could see something behind her back. A long, sharp instrument. 

“I wish I didn’t have to do this…but you leave me no choice, Lyam. It’s what I must do for my soulmate...for my happily ever after,” she said, a manic cloud over her face…a deadly sight in her eyes.

“I don’t know what went wrong with you. We were so happy. You were sweet and beautiful. Now you’re a load of crap,” I uttered painfully.

She was approaching me...seeming angrier by my words. She plunged that sharp, deadly instrument through my chest…the last sound I heard being police sirens approaching. I awoke the next morning in a hospital bed, with the only thought going through my head being her.

I can’t help but imagine what could have happened to her…we were so happy. I guess the love just…died.