My (Be)loved | Teen Ink

My (Be)loved

September 25, 2022
By InhumanPoet GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
InhumanPoet GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10 articles 3 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is no sunrise so beautiful that it is worth waking me up to see it" -Mindy Kaling


My grandma always told me when you cry, never cry tears of sadness but of joy even when it hurts so bad. Even if someone breaks your heart. Even if someone you once loved left. You can cry but make sure they are tears of joy.  


My beloved who I love so dearly stays with me. We live in a small cozy apartment.  We’ll always sit on our burgundy love seater and talk about the little things while his head is on my lap. The weather, movies, food, anything. But what I love the most is when we hold each other. When he holds me I feel so happy and it feels so safe like nothing can hurt me. Daphne came over. 

“Hi Daphne, how are you?”  She doesn't say anything, instead she looks at our small apartment with a poker face. The sunlight was shining on her face and made her seem like her eyes were made of brown garnet gemstones, her skin smooth and flawless, the color of wheat and her hair like brown silky curtains that only the rich can afford. A beauty who other girls wish to be. I really hate that face. “Where’s your husband now, playing golf, wrestling sharks?” Still with that poker face.

“He’s at work”

“Of course, he's always at work when i come along” 

“Maybe next time you should call instead of just coming over” I rolled my eyes 

“Why don't I just wait until he gets here”

She walks with her black ankle strap heels, clip clopping like a horse  on the wooden floor and sits on my burgundy love seater. We sat in silence for at least 30 mins.

She breaks the silence, “You know, your relationship with him isn't healthy”. She says not me but to her red cat like nails. “What are you saying?” I said in worry, hoping she wasn't talking to me. She slowly raises her head and looks at me. “ I wasted enough time here”

“Why did you say that!” I went to grab her hand but there was nothing to grab. Weird.

I heard the jingle of keys and the opening of the creaky door to the apartment, it was him, my beloved. Something seemed off about him. I couldn't see his eyes but it didn't matter, as long as I could see his smile. We sat on the burgundy love seater with the lamp on talking about his day at work. “You know, i will have to go soon”. Thats what he said to me.

“What do you mean, go where” I say with a smile but on the inside im scared to hear the answer. 

“What this is, it isnt healthy”

“Are you going to leave me, you are, arent you” Im starting to choke up, my eyes start to burn and I stand up suddenly. I cant see his smile anymore.

“Where are you going, you cant leave me!” 

“When i leave, I want you to remember the good times we always shared together.”

“You cant leave, please”

“I have to, im doing this for you”

“I hate you”

He chuckled “I love you too”

I punched him but they did nothing, i was just hitting the burgundy love seater that we were supposed to share.

Now I have to hold myself and make myself feel safe. I cried but they were tears of joy remembering the good times because thats all we had together. Me and my beloved.


The author's comments:

Remember the good times and memories we shared together. Cuz thats all we had. ~Great Grandma