Love Through A Book: Romance and Fantasy | Teen Ink

Love Through A Book: Romance and Fantasy

By TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

Jake was wandering  through the dim lit hallways of the magical high school building, home of the dragons. He had just finished his football game, and said goodnight to his friends, before they left to go to the bar. Jake didn’t like to drink, so he figured to head to the school library. He already had a couple things on his plate, and there was a special someone he wanted to see. Spotting the doors at the end of the hall, Jake jogged over to the entrance. Pausing to examine the posters of new books to read. He smiled, noticing that one of the books was written by his crush, Amelie, who was this special someone. They had been hanging out for a bit every week or so just to get to know each other and have fun. Now, he’s starting to think his feelings are growing for her. He smiled even wider at the thought or her liking him back. Then he turned away from the impossible thought, and opened the library doors. The willow tree in the middle was lit with golden glowing candles and the piano was playing soft lullabies. No one was usually here at the library this late, except for Amelie. Jake looked up the tree and saw Amelie’s short orange hair and blue tank top peeking out from a branch. She was swinging her legs over the branch on the other side. She looked so happy reading a book, having peace of mind, and listening to the gentle soft tunes from below. This place seemed like paradise. Jake smiled up at Amelie and started to climb the ladder up to her branch she was seated on. Step after step on the ladder, the smell of old paper inside books, and the sweet sound of the piano, and the mystical flower petals falling from the tree. He stopped climbing at where Amelie was sitting, her back faced him, and she was still unaware that he was there. He moved his hand slowly upwards and ruffled her hair. Amelie slightly jumped and knocked the hand away before whirling around and realizing it was Jake. She scoffed and ruffled Jake’s hair so they were equally as messy.

“You know, I like you better this way.” Amelie teased and put a finger to her lips to act like she was thinking. Jake smiled and smoothed his hair. Amelie giggled and smoothed hers as well. Even though Jake didn’t like to admit it, he loved Amelie’s teasing side, and whenever she got payback. She liked to be fair, and silly. It was her perfect personality. 

“So, whatcha readin’?” Jake asked and plopped down beside Amelie on her branch. 

Amelie smiled, her adorable smile, when she wrinkles her nose and her grin shows her adorable front teeth. Jake’s heart fluttered. He swore to himself that Amelie was so cute, it was hard not to shout his feelings for her right now and then. She then hands her book to Jake, and bites her lip, nervous to see his reaction. 

Jake immediately recognized the cover from the poster outside the library.

“ ‘A Familiar Gaze’ by Amelie Johanson.” Jake read. He then smiled and flipped through the 362 pages, “How long did it take you to write this?”

Amelie searched in the back of her mind to try and recall the date she started, “I think it took about a year. Maybe less than that…but anyways it’s about a girl who was sent to brazil for an expedition down the Rio Negro to find her lost brother. When she got on the boat to find him, she realized that the captain WAS her brother. They were twins so it was pretty easy to tell the similarities. Then, a whole backstory comes in, and magic gets involved. It’s a really good read and I made sure to run this through four editors to make sure it was book material.” Before Amelie could go on explaining, she paused and looked at Jake’s face, deep in focus with hers.

“Too much?” Amelie asked, shrugging her hands.

Jake shook his head and responded, “No, not at all. I just don’t know how you come up with this stuff. You’re so imaginative and take advantage of all the resources around you! You are truly brilliant, Amelie.”

Amelie smiled and tried to fight against the urge to confess her feelings for Jake. He was always so complementing to her, and worked hard to find time for everything, especially to find time for her. It was so sweet how amazing Jake was. So, if she couldn’t kiss Jake right then or shout her feelings, the best thing she could think of was a hug. So she leaned over and hugged Jake tight, “Thank you, Jake.” 

It was music to his ears. His name coming from Amelie’s mouth was exactly what it was meant for. He hugged her back and said, “You’re welcome”

Both, Jake and Amelie, didn’t want to break this moment. A spark of energy between them. But, Amelie pulled away from Jake to not make him think the hug meant something else, but she still wanted to be in the warm embrace of his arms. The feeling of protection surrounded her only seconds ago, but now the feeling has faded away, just as quickly as it came.

Jake took a deep breath and told himself ‘I can do this. It’s now or never’.

“Amelie, I’ve been wanting to tell you something.” Jake said.

‘Is this it?!’ Amelie said in her mind.

“We’ve hung out for a while and now that I've known you a little better, I know now that I like you. Might be even a bit more…” Jake said and looked into Amelie’s eyes to look for a trace of despair or the ‘I don’t have feelings for him’ look. 

Amelie held her breath and tried to be as calm as possible when she said, “Jake, of course I like you! Why wouldn’t I? You’re amazing, talented, and you’re just so awesome to be around!”

Jake’s heart filled with an invisible power and before they knew it, they were in each other’s embrace again. Sweet and safe, they were together.

I hope you like this!

Thank you @Afra, I appreciate it :)

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

Tessa, we don't like this...WE LOVE THIS!!! I love the concept...The storyline was simply beautiful!!!🌸🌸🌸