You | Teen Ink

You

October 18, 2021
By Anonymous

To other people, Athena was a very loud and blithesome girl. She was someone who was always there for you with a smile. She had given up many things for others’ happiness. Athena was a pretty lucky girl, except when it came to guys or to be exact, one guy. Athena had liked this guy since they were young. She had met the boy in elementary school whose name was Moros. Moros had always been kind to people around him and had an unremitted aura to him that attracted him many friends, though he was not much of an extrovert because he preferred to keep to himself.  


When Athena first met him, she thought he was impeccable. To her, all she saw was perfect but as time went on both of them became friends, and she slowly started to notice his flaws. For example, how messy/disorganized he is, the way he becomes nervous when doing simple tasks, how he can be quite selfish with his things, the asperity tone he unconsciously uses from time to time, etc. When Athena slowly started to notice all his flaws for some reason, she couldn’t help but fall for him even more. 


Pacing back and forth in front of the gate, Athena kept an eye out for Moros. She looked at her hand holding the plastic bag filled with his favorite snacks and drinks along with the lunch she made him. Thoughts were running around her head, she wanted to make sure she didn’t get anything he didn’t like even though this wasn’t her first time doing this kind of thing for him. In the corner of her eyes, she saw the boy she had been waiting for. Taking a deep breath, she fixed her posture and started walking his way.


“Moros!! Good morning, how are you? Are you feeling better? I got you some stuff.” Athena said, looking in the eyes of the boy she admires. Athena noticed how stressed and tired he looked. She had remembered the last time they texted, he mentioned how he wasn’t feeling good, and he was having some problems with his parents.


“Hey Athena, I’m doing alright. No need to worry.” Moros said, looking at the smiling girl in front of him. He looked down at the bag in her hand and smiled softly. Shaking his head, he looked back at the lovely-looking girl.

 

“You know you don’t need to get me anything.” He said as she gave him the bag. She has been doing these kinds of things since they were young.  He thought back to the first time she made him food. The food was burnt and had too many spices. He thought it was cute and nice of her but it pained him thinking about how she feels about him. He knew that she had trouble controlling her emotions, especially when someone asked if she liked him. He thought it was absurd when he put the pieces together and finally found out she had feelings for him. He dreaded the day where she told him her feelings.


“Hey, come on, we are going to be late for class,” Athena said, swaying her arms back and forth.


“Also, do you think I could talk to you about something after classes?” she added before he got a chance to say something.

 

All Moros did was nod his head while looking at the sweet girl in front of him. He didn’t think much of what they’ll talk about and just continued to enjoy her presence while walking slowly to their classes.


***

After Classes

***


Athena stood still in front of the gate waiting for Moros. She held in her hands a light green envelope with a garish flower drawn on the front of it. For today, she planned to tell Moros her feelings for him. At this moment she had become very timid and nervous. She had planned many days where she was going to tell him her feelings but she always chickened out at the last minute.


“Athena?” Moros asked as he walked up to her. This was the first time he had ever seen her acting like this. He looked at the envelope in her hand and started to slowly become more concerned and dreaded what might happen next.


Athena looked up with a shaky smile and started talking. She was nervous, she knew that he doesn’t have feelings for her but it pains her for the amount of time she has been holding it in. 


“So I’m going to tell you something so please don’t interrupt me.” She stated, looking calmer. All he was able to do was nod his head, awaiting what would come next.


  “I like you, I liked you for such a long time. I know you don’t have the same feelings for me but I really needed to get it off my chest. I have liked you since the first time I talked to you in elementary. It started as a small crush that happened but as time went on and I got to know you more my feelings for you got deeper. You are someone who seems so perfect to me and I see you as everything I’ve ever wanted and needed in life. I want to be with you for as long as I can and I know that’ll never happen but please accept my feelings and the letter I made for you.” Athena said calmly as lifted her shaking hand to give him the letter.


“Athena…” Moros mumbled under his breath. He didn’t know what to say, he was scared that depending on what he said their friendship would fall apart.


“I don’t have feelings for you, Athena. Even if I did have feelings for you I’m not ready to be with anyone just yet. You are a great girl and I know that you’ll find someone better than me. I like you but only as a friend. I’m really sorry, and I hope that you’ll forgive me.” Moros said quickly, his words felt all mixed up and felt a pain in his heart when Athena calm's ' face broke into a doleful one for a split second.


“I understand. I knew this was coming, and no need to be sorry. Your feelings aren’t something that you can control, and I would rather you tell me you don’t like me than lie to me.” Athena said as she forced a smile to her face.

Athena hands the letter to him with a soft smile. “Read it for me when you get home, please. This is everything I wanted to tell you, and this is how I feel. If you don’t want to keep it then just throw it away after you read it.” She said,


Taking the letter, Moros looked at it. “I’m really sorry.” He whispered.


“It’s fine I feel much better now because I told you how I feel.” She said with a soft smile.


“I’ll see you tomorrow then. Same time in front of the gate. I’ll be making soup for breakfast and something else for lunch.” Athena said as she stood up straight, ready to leave before any tears started falling.


Athena went a little closer to Moros and patted his head only to turn around and started walking away as fast as she could without giving him a chance to say or do anything.


The author's comments:

This is a school assignment. I needed extra credit. JUST A SHORT STORY.