Living through an apocalypse | Teen Ink

Living through an apocalypse

Harper shrieked as Hunter leapt from the undergrowth, crashing into her. They both fell to the ground, weeds clinging to their faces, grass bristling against them. She rolled away from him, glaring at him. "Don't do that." She shoved him away angrily and picked herself up, wiping the mud from her trousers.

"Aw come on, don't be like that." He grinned as he, too, got to his feet. 

"Like what?" She asked imperiously. 

"You used to be so much more fun." He teased.

"Yeah? Well, incase you hadn't noticed, we are in the middle of an apocolypse, and I for one don't think that is a time to be messing around." 

Hunter paused to stare at the darkened sky, the desolute streets and the delapidated buildings. Then he said, "Why shouldn't we?"

"You're unbelievable." She muttered, but Hunter caught the way the corners of her mouth twitched a little when she said this.

"Hmmm... So you wouldn't like to go on a date with me tonight?" He asked, revealing the bunch of roses he had concealed behind his back. True, they were withered and dead, but Harper still took them from him, now smiling back.

"Alright." She sighed. "But we've got to get out of here first, before we are found."

"One more thing before we do." Hunter kissed her on the cheek. She felt her cheeks reddening in embarassment, but by then he had turned away.

My first relationship, in the middle of an apocolypse. Harper thought. Just my luck.

***

Harper stumbled clumsily into the room. Despite the fact that Hunter was holding her hand, she still felt alone in the dark. 

"Did I have to wear a blindfold?" She grumbled, as he led her along. "It's a bit excessive."

Hunter stopped, and her heart leapt. Was something wrong?

"You can take off your blindfold." Came Hunter's voice, much to Harper's relief. She tugged at the piece of cloth on her head, and it came off easily. Hunter made a dramatic flourish, and Harper gasped.

She couldn't believe that he had managed to pull this off. There was a squat, round table adorned with a single resolutley burning candle, and two plates of food. What's more, it was fresh, unlike the stale, crusty remains Harper was used to.

"How did you do this?" She asked in awe, stepping forward a little. It wouldn't usually look like much, but in the apocolypse, all of this stuff seemed out of reach.

Hunter shrugged. "I'd do anything for you."

"Cheesy." Harper couldn't help herself from muttering. Hunter heard and grinned back at her.

"What was I supposed to say? You are literally the only girl left in the apocolypse and I had to date someone?" He was still grinning, playfully, but suddenly the warm feeling Harper had had vanished, to be replaced by a chill.

"What?" She asked, turning to him.

He frowned slightly. "Harper, I was joking."

But Harper wasn't listening. She remembered the days before the apocolypse, when she had been in high school with Hunter. She had thought he was obnoxious, arrogant, and a bit big-headed. He had dated girl after girl, always the ones he thought were the best, before dumping them a mere week later on finding out about their flaws. Harper and Hunter had only started dating after the apocolypse began. How had she been foolish enought to fall for his lies? If everything returned to normal, the first thing he would do would be to dump her. And not in a slow, kind way either. He would be harsh. He wouldn't care if he made her cry.

Harper turned on him, her rage building. "You never loved me. Did you?" She yelled. "I was just an extra. You just didn't want to be alone. You wouldn't care if I was killed in this apocolypse, would you?"

Hunter's face hardened. For a moment, Harper felt herself wishing he would deny it, beg for her forgiveness. But then he answered, voice suddenly very cold.

"No. I wouldn't care."

Sorry, I am not a romance author. My usual stories are fantasy/sci-fi, but my friend introduced me to romance. I can't say I exactly like it, but I challenged myself to get through writing a whole romance story, to try out new styles. Though, of course, I included a bit of my old style. I suppose romance will never work out for me and this is proof of it. XD

CrazyCatLady6 GOLD, New Radnor, Other

"There would be no shadows if the sun were not shining"

oh umm... well u defiantly know how 2 break my heart * sniff *