my life next door | Teen Ink

my life next door

My life next door is about a 17-year-old girl named Samantha reed. Samantha lives with her local politician mother in their obsessively orderly house. Their next-door neighbors are the Garretts – a family with eight kids who live in a very chaotic and messy household.

After years of watching the Garretts from her bedroom window, Samantha finally meets one of them – Jase. The two falls in love, but Samantha must keep it a secret from her strict mother, who does not want her daughter having anything to do with the Garretts.

Over the summer, Samantha becomes close with Jase and his family… almost becoming one of them. But she also must deal with friendship problems with her friends Nan and Tim, juggle her two summer jobs, and learn to accept her mother's new boyfriend.

When the unthinkable happens, Samantha must decide. Which family will she choose? Will she stick by her family or the Garretts?

I loved the romance between Samantha and Jase – they were perfect for each other. It was a summer romance with depth. It got quite hot between Samantha and Jase but never to much I was just the right amount of description.  All of Jase's siblings were well developed and had very distinct personalities. you could clearly tell who was speaking in the book at different times. The book is a good length its not to long and not to short.

I liked the anticipated conflict, but I think it happened too far into the book and should have happened sooner. This made the ending feel rushed. A few questions were left unresolved like who Samantha is going to choose and what is going to happen to Samantha and Jase. I would have liked the answers for them, but every reader will have to create their own answers. In my option this book is so good I didn’t want it to end even though is a good length.

I would recommend this book for ages 14+ who want to read a summer romance.

I have not read them yet but there are two more books that go with this one to continue the story. Overall, this is a great read for anyone who loves romance novels