Truth or Dare | Teen Ink

Truth or Dare

“So, anyone wanna play truth or dare?”
Everyone yelled their agreement immediately, already moving to sit in a more circle like shape. Mira laughed, not surprised about her friends’ reactions to the suggestion.
She took a seat in the circle, and Orli sat next to her, much to both her pleasure and horror. “Scoot over, Orli!” Braxton griped, standing menacingly behind the girl.
“I’m moving, I’m moving!” She said, scooching over towards Mira to make space. Mira was acutely aware of the way their knees touched and their elbows would occasionally bump into each other, but she did her best not to focus on it.
Mira leaned around Orli to look at Braxton, and gave him a sly smirk. “Truth or dare, Braxton?” She asked teasingly, and he grinned maliciously.
“Dare, obviously. Hit me with your best shot, Pinky.” He said, making note of her obnoxiously dyed bubblegum pink hair.
She shrugged, smiling nonchalantly. “Eh, I think I’ll start you off small. Lick a car tire.” She said, knowing it wouldn’t be much of a challenge for Braxton. She always liked for the game to start off pretty simple, and escalate with time, which is pretty much how every game goes.
“Tch, done,” He said, already halfway out the door. Everyone got up to look through the window as Braxton went up to Mira’s car and made an obnoxious showing of him licking one of the tires.
He turned to glare at Mira, waiting for approval, and she sent a quick thumbs up. He scowled and walked back up into the house. “Happy?” He growled as he came back to his place in the circle.
Mira beamed. “Very,” She said simply, and he glared at her. He plopped down next to Kyle, and they all continued on with the game.
They did pretty simple dares after that. They would do easy stuff like stopping cars to tell them their wheels are turning or going outside and singing the national anthem at the top of their lungs.
But soon they started getting into the truths, which was always Mira’s favorite part. Dares were great and all to laugh at, but truths were even better. It wasn’t because they were necessarily funny, although some were. But Mira was always one for gossip, and she hated being behind on information. So whenever the chance arose for her to dig up some dirt on her friends, she took it.
It was now her turn as well, having just had to do a pretty boring dare. She wanted a truth, and she wanted it to be a good one too. She chose her first victim carefully, deciding to go for Haley. Hey and Oliver had been circling around each other for months, both clearly into the other but refusing to admit it.
She smiled cunningly over at Haley. “Truth or dare, Haley?” She asked. The girls unnaturally pale skin flushed a deep red, knowing that Mira was most likely up to something.
“Uh, t-truth,” She stuttered out, and Mira’s smile grew.
“So,” She said slowly, and Haley looked half scared to death. “What are your feelings for Ollie?”
Haley gulped audibly, and shot a quick look over at the boy, who was now blushing as well. Neither of them were great with dissimulation it seemed, because their feelings were clearly written all over their faces. “I…” She faltered. She took a deep breath and looked down. “SoImayormaynothaveasmallcrushonhim!”
She said it all in one go, and immediately buried her face in her hands. Mira squealed, elated at the confession. Fortunately, Oliver had understood her, and a cherry red blush was now covering a good majority of his face. “Haley…” He whispered, and the girl in question peaked up at him.
“Yeah?” The words were slightly muffled by her hands.
“I… I like you too.” Oliver admitted, and a look of pure shock crossed Haley’s features. She didn’t say anything, just wrapped him in a tight hug and didn’t let go.
Braxton coughed, and the two broke off their hug, forgetting they had an audience. Mira glared at Braxton, but he didn’t seem phased by her. “S-so, um,” Haley coughed out, her face a vibrant and unnatural shade of red. She gave Ian a simple dare, still a little flustered, and he completed it easily.
“Maya, truth or dare?” He asked stiffly. Ian was great and all, but he really needed to loosen up.
“Um, truth?” She said it as more of a question.
“Alright, what is your opinions about the upcoming election?” He was going to continue, but was cut off at the sounds of everyone groaning.
“Please Ian, can we not talk about something so vexing? This is supposed to be fun!” Orli reasoned.
“O-oh, well, I’ll admit that I’m not very good at coming up with truths.” He confessed.
Mira leans over and whispers something in his ear. “W-well, don’t you think that’s a bit personal?” He asked, not seeming completely comfortable with the question she offered.
She smiled devilishly. “There is no such thing as ‘personal’ in truth or dare, Ian. You should know this by now.”
He purses his lips and turns to Maya. “Are you and Jamie dating?” He asks, albeit reluctantly.
Her face flares up in an adorably undeniable blush, in stark contrast to her (girl?)friend’s, who’s facial expression remains neutral. “Well, y-yes, we are. Did you all not know? We haven’t really been trying to hide it.” She manages to get out, face still bright red.
“Well, I knew already, I mainly just wanted to know if you guys were exclusive or not.” Mira pipes up.
“Yeah, we’re exclusive. I’m just not big on PDA so it may not really seem that way.” Jamie explains.
“S-so Kyle! Truth or dare?” Maya expertly diverts everyone’s attention over to the obnoxious redhead, who’s already grinning his toothy smile.
“Dare!” He exclaims. “Hit me with your best shot!”
Maya smirked, and Mira could see Ky’s smile falter, probably already regretting his choice. “I dare you to kiss your crush.” She said, and Kyle froze in place.
He blushed, and Ian came to his defense, giving a long and profound speech about why that dare was taking it a bit too far. “Oh my god guys this is ridiculous!” Braxton yelled, making Kyle jump. He turned towards Kyle. “Just do the dare!”
“Fine!” He yells. He grabs the collar of Braxton’s shirt, pulling him in for a rough kiss. He seems to realize what he just did a second later, and immediately pulls away. “I-I’m sorry.”
He sprints out of the room, tears streaming freely down his face. They all sit in stunned silence for a moment, before Braxton shot up and chased after him. Everyone sat and waited for the boys to return, watching the door like vultures watching their prey.
When they returned, they were both blushing heavily, and Mira didn’t miss their entwined hands. “Dami, uh, truth or dare?” Kyle asked uncertainly, sitting down next to Braxton in the circle.
Damian thought it over for only a moment, before deciding on truth. Kyle leaned over to whisper something in his ear. “Come on!” Orli shouted, having leaned over and listened in. “You just got upset over that dare, don’t be a hypocrite. You can’t ask him to do that!”
Kyle shrugs and leans back on his hands. “C’mon Orli, we both know they like each other. I’m just moving things along.” He argued.
Orli pouted but didn’t pursue the topic any further. Kyle looks over at Dami expectantly, and the boy mumbles something out incoherently. “What was that?” Kyle asked, leaning forwards a bit.
“I-I said I like Trevor,” He mumbles, and the heterochromatic boy beside him blushed a deep scarlet.
“Why?” Is all Trevor responded with, and Damian gave him an incredulous look.
“What do you mean why? You-you’re just-you’re just so incredible! Why wouldn’t I like you?!?” Damian says passionately, moving slightly closer.
The obnoxiously loud sound of a snort filled the room, and all eyes turned towards the explosive blonde now sat behind Kyle. “You guys are disgusting. Can you please take this somewhere else?” He asked, sneering.
“Umm, Braxton, hate to break it to you but you and Ky literally just kissed. You can’t talk.” Orli pointed out, fearless as ever. “And come on, don’t mock them. You wouldn’t like it if someone had made fun of you and Kyle.”
Braxton crossed his arms and growled but otherwise didn’t say anything, and so the game continued. Mira was elated at the results, finding out loads of pretty juicy secrets about her classmates. She was perfectly content with how things had turned out—that was, until things rolled back around to Orli.
“Truth or dare Orli?” Trevor asked, in his usual monotone voice.
“D-dare!” She said.
He thought it over for a moment, then glanced quickly at Mira and then back to Orli. “I dare you and Mira to kiss.”
Mira was sure her face was on fire at this point. Kiss?! Orli!? No! She couldn’t do it. What if the kiss somehow gave away the fact that she has a huge, gay crush on Orli or something? She couldn’t risk it.
“Mira…?” Orli said, and Mira looked up at her. There was an adorably red blush dusting her cheeks. “Sorry.” She muttered, and then everything was happening at once.
Orli surged forwards, and she felt a soft pair of lips on hers. She froze in place, not knowing what to do, how to respond. She felt this soft warm feeling in her chest, and she found she liked it. She liked it a lot.
Then all of a sudden it hit her. Orli was kissing her. And she wasn’t kissing back! She wrapped her arms around Orli’s neck, returning the kiss easily, as if she had done it a thousand times before, as if this is what she was made to do. And as she did so, she let the warmth completely and absolutely envelop her, and she wasn’t complaining about it one bit.

Trashy BRONZE said...
Trashy BRONZE, Springboro, Pennsylvania

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

That was beautiful, it put a huge smile on my face in this boring class of mine. I'm excited to read more of your work!