Finally | Teen Ink

Finally

Tyler. That’s his name, and he’s the love of my life. He has brown, curly hair, he’s tall, he has the darkest brown eyes you’ll ever see. I guess I should probably start at the beginning. It all started freshman year of High School. We were best friends. He was in my 3rd period English class, and he sat right in front of me. I think he knew I liked him back then from how I stared at him. We would pass notes in class, share notes, he would even give me his sweatshirt when he was cold. I thought this was the start to something new; but oh was I wrong.
Tyler got a girlfriend! Her name was Veronica; she’s captain of the cheerleading team. Veronica seemed nice and I wanted to get to know her since she was dating my best friend. I soon learned how much of a snake she was. While she was dating Tyler, she was talking to 5 other guys. I tried to tell Tyler, I really did. He told me that Veronica would never do that, she was too loyal. I knew I would have to catch Veronica in the act.
I found out that one of the guys Veronica was talking to was one of Tyler’s closest friends. Gavin, his friend, left his phone unlocked in class one day; so I got on it and texted Veronica. I pretended to be Gavin and said I wanted to meet after school at the cafe down the block. Then I texted Tyler off his phone and told Tyler Veronica wanted to meet him there; but a few minutes later.
My plan worked! Tyler walked into the cafe while Veronica and Gavin were kissing. I kinda felt awful that Tyler had to go through that, but I couldn’t let him date someone so cruel and disloyal. He didn’t talk to me for almost a month after he found out I sent the texts. I tried to explain that I just showed him and that they had been doing this on their own for a while. Tyler eventually forgave me, but I definitely had to prove I’m trustworthy.
By the time Tyler and I got back to normal, it was the end of junior year. One day, I was sitting on my front porch, like I always do. All of a sudden, Tyler comes out of nowhere with a sign and a dog. It was a promposal. The poster said, “If my puppy dog eyes don’t work maybe his will, Prom?”. It was the cutest thing ever; he even bought me a corgi. I cried because I thought I would be alone at prom, and two I thought Tyler still hated me. When I said yes Tyler was so happy he leaned in and kissed me! That was my first kiss!
Prom was so fun! We went out to eat, got pictures throughout the city, and stayed up till 4:30 partying. By the end of the night everyone was so tired we couldn’t stand by the time it was Prom King & Queen. We knew as juniors we couldn’t get king or queen, but we could get prince and princess. We both crossed our fingers and sure enough, We got it! We danced in the middle of the room with a single spotlight shining down on us. I didn’t think a day could top it, but boy was I wrong.
We started dating after the prom. We went on dates 3 times a week; whether it was a movie night, dinner, or day on the beach; we always had the best time. For our one year anniversary, he got me a heart locket with our picture in it. I’ve been wearing it every day since he gave it to me.
Now back to the present. There is one month before senior prom; I’m expecting Tyler to ask me. Today Tyler has tournaments for baseball. They’re in the championship game. I go there straight after school to watch them warm-up, it looked like the whole school came. Right after the Star-Spangled Banner; the announcers made one last announcement and it was for me to make my way down to the field. As I walked down the stadium; the baseball players took roses and made a pathway on the field. I walked past and everyone handed me a rose to form a bouquet. I was a little confused assuming it was just Tyler making a huge promposal; but it was much more. As I made it to the end of the pathway Tyler was there with a microphone. He said into it, “This isn’t a promposal, I don’t think I can go to prom with you”. He waited until my face dropped then added, “until I ask you to marry me first. Will, you Marry Me?”. I am now married at 18 because I finally found the love of my life.

Have you ever dreampt of marrying your High School Sweetheart. This piece is about High School Love. They were best friends. There's some dangers that rattle their relationship and then eventually the good arrises.