Reflection of Roses | Teen Ink

Reflection of Roses

By Minderella PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado
Minderella PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado

If I tell you I love you can I keep you forever? --Aww. From the movie Casper
Also:
If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus 1 day so I never have to live a day without you. --Aww again. Of course, that's Whinnie the Pooh for ya!

The rose. It was supposed to be a sign of love. But not for her.

What was love? Just a silly idea? A silly emotion? Either way, it was silly. She didn’t believe in it. If it was true, then why were there divorces? Why was this world filled with sadness? Why were all her tears…reflections of that rose?

A rose of a broken promise. Broken, over and over again. Valerie had had plenty of experiences with boyfriends. Clingy ones. Jealous ones. Bad ones. Good ones. But they all had something in common, for her anyway. They all dumped her, breaking their promises.

They stole her kisses, and her chocolates on Valentine’s Day. They stole her friends, and they even stole her from the world. Why? She didn’t know. But every one had broken their promise of “I love you.”

And then Chase came along. “He has to be different,” She thought.

They hung out. They dated. They kissed. They laughed. They loved. He gave her a single red rose. “This one has to be different,” She kept repeating in her mind.

But he just broke her heart like all the rest. He dumped her. He quit talking to her. He dated her best friend. He was a player, like all the rest.

Valerie gave up. True love didn’t exist for her. Just a broken heart and a broken rose.

She walked down the sidewalk. What was love? Was it hate? But suddenly, she saw a couple. A married couple.

It was a frizzy-haired woman and a tall man. They pushed a stroller. They laughed together. They held hands. They consoled each other. They looked lovingly at each other and their baby.

And there was something about their eyes that struck her. There was a different sparkle within, something she had never seen before. The couple walked by, happy as ever, retaining that sparkle.

She kept walking, squeezing the rose in her hand until the thorns on the stem dug into her palm.

And she came across another couple. They were old. White clouds sat on their heads and wrinkles covered their body. They were arguing. Valerie watched with horror as they fought, wondering what could have caused such a rampage.

But slowly, the two cooled down. They hugged. They kissed. And then she saw it. A mysterious sparkle in their eyes.

And she knew what it was. It was the reflection of a rose. The sign of true love, despite the quarrel earlier. She began to cry. Her tears reflected the rose.

There had to be true love out there.

Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia

"She was fascinated with words. To her words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combinded with other words to create powerful spells." From: Lighting(By: Dean Koontz)

so so true...She should never have doubted it in the first place :) Very nice writing! Keep it up!

polyprincess16 SILVER, Tracy, California

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

this was cute but also realistic because you see love in some of the randomest places, and it is hard, though not impossible, to find it when your young and immature.

Sabrina.Nichole SILVER, Pineville, Kentucky

"Live your life as you wish, its like possessing a coin, you may spend it however you please; but you can only spend it once, so spend it wisely" - Thomas Kinworth

You are a good writter, i enjoyed your writting.

melone96 said...
melone96, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
i like this one! great writing!!

on Apr. 4 2010 at 8:26 am
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

lol! Are you sure we haven't met?? The girl's name is my name too, and i feel the exact same way about love: it doesn't exist in school!! it's possible to find it later, when you're older and more mature, but not in middle school and high school. good piece!

!!Sooners!!RoxURound, Denver, Colorado
I like the style of your story it's the strongest part of your story. Also like the metophor of this story. you know the reflction of the rose.

ClockworkLightbulb SILVER, Nottingham, Other
This is amazing, the style it was written in was really different to a lot of stories out there and it was just really good.

hotpink13 SILVER, Springboro, Ohio

there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.(:

omg i love it it brought me to tears i can totally identify with the girl

amorey5 BRONZE said...
amorey5 BRONZE, Fonda, New York
this was great, i understand the trouble of the girl. i loved it!

kennedy_nicole BRONZE, Hancock, Maine

uhm....no? and awhhh.

you are a great writer(: i love the "a mysterious sparkle in their eyes" idk i jsut love it.

erika4964 said...
That was so beautiful in that one little story it touched my heart and made me cry. Keep writing becuase you are going to be a good writer one day.

MM4ever PLATINUM, Owosso, Michigan
Its beautifully written .. i love it[=

Cassandra said...
Manificent.