Thief | Teen Ink

Thief

It was a dark gloomy day in New York City. My family and I just moved here from London, England.  I am living with my mom and my stepdad, and my older brother Chad. I didn’t know how I felt about moving here, because everything is so different. The schools are different from the ones in England. I didn’t think I was ready for an American school yet. It was very overwhelming. Basically everything changed for me at this point in time. I didn’t know how to react or what to feel inside. It was finally the first day of a real American school. I was very nervous and shy everyone was looking at me like I was different from everyone else. I arrived at my first class and was introduced by the teacher. I went to go sit down as everyone was looking at me. There was this one girl in class that was really cute and smart. The bell rang, and I went to lunch. I didn’t know where to sit down I had no one to eat with. I tried to sit with my brother Chad, but he had his own group of friends. So I just went to the corner and sat. I only wished that I could make a lot of friends like Chad. The final bell finally rang, and it was time to go home. I had to take the bus home. I sat in the very back of the bus hoping no one would bother me on the ride home I wanted to feel isolated from everyone. Yes! I got home without anyone bothering me. I went inside looking for my parents. They weren’t home, I found I note on the fridge which said,” Jeff your stepdad and I went out to the mall there is food in the fridge for you and your brother. We will be home around 7:20.” I sat down to eat dinner. As, I was eating I was thinking of that one girl named Rebecca. When I went to homeroom this morning and saw her I couldn’t take my eyes off her for one second. I couldn’t wait to see her tomorrow during homeroom. The next day came and I was actually happy to be back at school. All I wanted to see was Rebecca. During the whole class I was thinking if I should ask her out. It was lunch time and I saw Rebecca, I just wanted to sit next to her. I went up to her and asked if I could sit and she actually said yes. This was the best moment of my life. It made me feel the loving desire that you get when you find your true love. I finally get to sit next to the girl of my dreams. I wanted to ask her out right here and now. I take a deep breath and go for the question. “Hey Rebecca I was wondering if you… wanted to go out with me?” She said “NO, I do not love you.”  What why?! Then who are you in love with?! She said “Your brother” “Chad!!!!” Oh I’ll kill him the next time I see him!! “Sorry little brother but I just had to one up you” He stole the girl of my dreams, I was furious with him. I didn’t know how to react to this situation. Once I got home I started fight with Chad. I asked why he took her away from me, when he knew that I liked her. I was so fed up with him I left the house and ran away. I ran and ran until I couldn’t physically run anymore. I went to the nearest store to buy some snacks to eat. I kept walking around central park. It was very peaceful at the park today. There were only a few kids and other adults. Old men were playing checkers and chess, and kids were running around playing with each other. I was finally relaxed and decided to walk back home. When I got home everyone was in the living room even Rebecca… Chad told me the importance of jealousy. Rebecca didn’t like me. And that doesn’t mean there aren’t any other fish in the sea. If they were other fish in the sea then I had more opportunities for love in the future. That would mean that I could find the real true love. This is the day I realized that I had other people in the future to look forward to. I also realized that I can actually be cared for in the future.

My piece was related to a past relationship i had with a friend.