The Lost Boy | Teen Ink

The Lost Boy

By ali.camryn BRONZE, Falling Waters, West Virginia
ali.camryn BRONZE, Falling Waters, West Virginia

The ocean breeze flies though the clouds close to the ground picking up sand along the way. The sand whirls around my feet reminding me of how I love the beach. Smooth ocean waves crept closer to were I stood. All my worries just burn up in the sun`s arms stretching out to warm my face. Everything is great and couldn`t get better.

"Hello, are you ok?" A voice found its way into the wind.

I woke up to see a woman looking at me from the other side of the bench. I just look back not knowing what to do. No one has ever really asked if I was ok. I turn away and watch some birds have a tug-a-war with some bread. The noise from the cars driving by are amplified from the tall buildings around me. 

"You know, you can talk to me," the woman indicated while placing a hand on mine. I bring my eyes to meet hers. A dark blue that looks just like ocean in my dreams. Her hair replicates the waves sneaking to the shore. Freckles placed perfectly upon her nose.

"My name is Nessa, what is yours?" She smiled to show she really cared.

"Skylar" I finally answered. 

"Well Skylar, where you from?"

"Here." I bowed my head to see the ground in front of me.

"Oh, I see," her smiled started to fade now."How old are you?"

"Eight," I said putting a smile on my face to save hers.

Nessa pulled out what I think is called a phone. She slid her fingers across the screen and taped some other things on it before pulling it up to her ear.

"hey," I just watch her."I was just wondering if I could being a friend over in a little bit." There was a pause. After a few seconds Nessa giggled, " don`t worry it`s not. Just wait. I`ll see you in a bit. Bye." The phone moved from her ear to her lap. A bus stopped and opened its doors to allow the riders on and off.

"Do you want to go eat with me? I was just on my way to get something to eat before going home." Nessa stood up.

"ummm....."

"I`m not making you, its your decision," she explained. 

"sure." I said as I stood up alongside Nessa.

We walked up to the bus. The driver stopped us and asked, "you with him?"

"yes sir," Nessa answered and turned to me. "Come on Skylar, right there." She pointed at a seat behind a lady. I walked down the aisle as people watched me stroll past them. I sat down and waited for Nessa to sit next to me. She was behind me walking on the bus. She sat down and smiled at me.

"What do u think about breakfast?"She asked me and I nodded in approval. I haven`t been out to eat in over a two years. Its always been people giving me food or leaving next to me to find when I wake up from naps.

After we got off the bus, Nessa led the way to a building with bold blue letters speeling 'Wilfers' above the doors. After we sat down at a table, a waiter showed up next to Nessa and asked what she would like. Nessa listed some foods off the menu then asked me what I wanted.

“What would you like Skylar?” Nessa said handing me the menu.

“Well I Don`t Know,” I look up at Nessa and she starts to point out items on the menu.

“There are green eggs and ham?” Nessa asked the waiter.

“You have no idea how many kids ask for them,” the waiter laughed.

“Can I try them?” I asked Nessa.

“If you want to.”

The waiter wrote it down in a book where she wrote Nessa`s order. She also asked what we wanted to drink and Nessa just told her water for both of us. 

A few minutes later the waiter came back with our drinks then brought the food out to the table.

"Here you are," the waiter set the food down and walked back to the doors in which she came from.

Nessa started to eat and I just watched my food as if it was going to crawl off my plate. I mean, it looks like a tiny monster because of the green tint added to it. I took a bite of the eggs. That’s the best thing I`ve eaten in years and I`ve been eating fast food for years. Before I knew it, everything was gone off my plate. Nessa finished eating right after I did. She paid for the food and we left the building. 

" I was thinking Skylar, Why don’t we go to my house," Nessa said as we walked down the sidewalk. 

I haven`t been in a actual house since I lost my mom when we were shopping. When I was six years old, my mom took me shopping one afternoon. I followed her in to the store but I never left. I never saw her leave so after a while I walked outside and sat on the bench out front. That is where I`ve been.

"I guess," I answered as she was calling a taxi.

"I think you will like it there."

As we got in the taxi, Nessa told the man driving a name of a place and I watched the people go by. I`ve stayed in the same place for 2 years on that bench. I would sometimes get up and walk the block to move around from sitting on that bench. I sit my head on the window and feel asleep.

When I woke up I wasn’t in the taxi. There I was in a room very unfamiliar. Pictures hung on the wall above the couch that I was on. All of a sudden, a medium sized dog started licking my face.

"He likes you," informed a familiar voice. I sat up from the couch and looked around trying to find where Nessa was. She was sitting on a stool in the kitchen in front of the area I was located. She walked over to where I was and sat down.

"Hey skylar, I was just wondering, why were you on that bench?" Nessa asked.

I told her how my mom left my me and never came back. 

"Well I know we just met yesterday....." I interrupted her.

"Yesterday?" I was confused.

"oh yeah, you’ve been sleeping all yesterday afternoon and all last night," She explained. "Back to what I was saying. I know we just met yesterday but I just really care about you. I would never leave you out there in the city by your self if I were your mother. I...."

I hugged her before she could finish what she was saying. She was surprised but then hugged me too.

"You’re the nicest person ever," I said before letting go.

"I asked a friend of mine to go shopping earlier..." She was cut off by the front door shutting. A tall man stood in front of the door with backs of stuff.

"I got what you asked for Nessa," he looked to me and smiled."Hi I`m Rick and you must be Skylar," the man said as slowly toward us on the couch. He handed Nessa the bags and he sat down in a chair across from the couch we were on. 

"I actually wanted to ask if you would like to stay with me, here, and Rick," she pulled her hand up to her mouth and whispered to me, " You find he is very funny and awesome."  I giggled.

Rick started making a funny face, "Oh come on, You can`t already have secrets from me."

Nessa started going though the bag that Rick had handed her.

"Here, these are for you Skylar," she handed me some clothes." Oh and I wanted to ask you if you want to take a bath, just asking"

"yeah" I really need a bath.

Nessa stood up and took my hand and walked me to the bathroom. She told me where the shampoo and conditioner were. She started the water and stood up. She asked if I needed anything else before walking out and closing the door. I looked in the mirror and, man, I was dirty. My hair needed a hair cut and my freckles are covered and out of sight. I took a bath and washed my hair. After I was done I grabbed the towel that Nessa left for me. I put the clothes on and looked in the mirror once again. Who is the kid standing in the mirror, that’s not me. 

There was a knock on the door and I opened it. Nessa had a look of shock on her face and had covered her mouth with her hand.

"Rick, look" Nessa didn’t take her eyes off me and Rick showed up next to her.

"Looking good Sky," Rick said. No one has called me that in forever and ever.

I look once again in the mirror and just stared as a green eyed, blond headed boy looked back. My hair had fallen down to cover my ears but stopped right after that. There were a lot more brown dots on my face then I remembered. Nessa showed up in the mirror also and placed her hands on my shoulders.

"Skylar, you look so handsome," and at that moment I realized I would never be on that bench again. Well not by myself at least. I am no longer alone. I am no longer a lost boy.