Her Last Game | Teen Ink

Her Last Game

By HopeB BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
HopeB BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

At the crack of dawn, she opens her dark brown eyes. They are almost black, like night. She reaches toward her bedside table and takes her bracelet, putting it on her right wrist. For she has worn this bracelet everyday for the past two years. She gets out of bed. She is short, about five three. Her dark brown hair stretches past her shoulders. It is a little frizzy, but she doesn’t mind. She opens up one of her drawers and she pulls out a shirt. It is a Peer Outreach shirt, and it's one of her favorites. She opens up another and takes out a pair of black leggings and she puts them on. She then grabs her soccer uniform, for it will be the last time she wears it. It is purple, with VINEYARD in big, white lettering on the back, and beneath the white lettering there is a giant three. She looks at it, and then sighs. She grabs her shorts, socks, shinguards and cleats, and rushes out of her room in a hurry. Her mom has money and her phone laid out on the table as well as breakfast, and she sits down, her right leg over her left. She peeks at her phone. She has a message from her boyfriend and a snapchat from her little sister. She grins, and starts to eat. The thought of her last game ponders her mind. She knows that she has had a huge impact on her team. She won’t be forgotten. She looks at the sister gifts she's prepared. In one of the bags, there is a card, a mushy note, an orange rock with Hope written on it, a little purple hippopotamus, and a bracelet, the one that matches hers. She finishes eating and then grabs them. She knows that she means the world to someone special and that she’ll pass her legacy onto her. She looks at her bracelet one last time, and she hurries out the door.

I loved writing this piece. I got a wonderful opportunity, and looking back I wouldn't change a thing. Writing it makes me think about the term carpe diem, which means seize the day, because that is exactly what I did.