My Island | Teen Ink

My Island

By WilliamPatrick BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
WilliamPatrick BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

It happened. I won. After years of going to the local seven eleven every Friday afternoon from my way back from work. I finally, won. I finally, picked the one that would bring me to happiness. I finally, have the chance to live my dream, and to make my once worktime daydreams a reality. A golden ticket to the chocolate factory it is not, but rather a golden ticket to peace and tranquility. The game of life I have lucked out on, so it seems. I had the luckiest spin of them all, and I landed on the jack pot. No more dues to be paid, no more time to be wasted, for I had beat the game.
My destination is already set. Lady Musgrave Island, located in the South Pacific next the Great Barrier Reef, and five hours from the closest contact to civilization. A paradise for any maritime enthusiast. An island surrounded by amiable, crystal clear waters, and inhabited by thousands of species of aquatic life. Enclosed by the largest naturally formed coral reef in the world, and one of the seven natural wonders of the world. I will stay in what can only be described as an utmost surreal natural environment. Fish bustle around the island and between reefs, like a Friday afternoon on route 208. Sharks ominously lurk the reefs stalking prey, until they strike at the blink of an eye. My backyard is an ocean with ocean full of life, with a constant flow of new interactions between humans and nature.
I will have a small boat, and pier stretching out twenty yards out the water. A set of hammocks will be at the end, they will relax just inches risen from the water. A white gazebo with blue roofing and view due west, so everyday the alluring sun set of will be viewable.
I will have a small modest house with three total bedrooms and two bathrooms. One main family room with glass skylights and couches large enough for my family to all sit on comfortably and play games or watch movies. There will be one kitchen and dining room with enough seats for the family. It will be one story and have an outside room and shower. The outside room will consist of staging area for all aquatic equipment. Scuba and snorkel gear will be housed here, along with all of the boats extra equipment. The last room in the house will be my camera and film studio. I will keep all of the filming materials here, such as my GoPros. Documenting the experiences in the reef will be apart of my dream in becoming an illustrious ocean biologist studying the effect of climate change. My home and my island are waiting or me. Getting ready for my arrival to a new life. My winning fortune would make this life possible, and I will welcome this new lifestyle.
I won the lottery, but did I need to? Cheated. I cheated the game of life. I got a lucky spin and got to win millions in “life” cash. My cousins got upset, since I always beat him at “The Game of Life”. I should have let him win, and taken the wrong step just this one time. I sat contemplating my decisions on the floor of my cousins house in Morristown, New Jersey. Thinking about what it would be like if I had really won the lottery. What I would do with all the money? Would I want to earn the money instead, and work my way towards success? I thought about this and made up my mind. A free pass to riches would always be ideal, but a name built on success and hard work be better. A reputation that I built from my work, would be better. Becoming someone who people remember for being persistent in striving towards greatness would be better.