The Little Things | Teen Ink

The Little Things

By Soto64 BRONZE, Riverside, California
Soto64 BRONZE, Riverside, California

It was early in the morning on the fifth day of summer. The crimson bright sun was shining off the

coffee brown paint in my bedroom walls. I got up out of bed and went to go wash my face. As i walked

out the restroom,my monster brother walked out of his room wearing black gym shorts and a red

muscle shirt on.

“Are you ready,” He asked with a drowsy voice showing that he just woke up

I was confused, i didn’t know what he was talking about so i asked, “What are you talking about?”

“Dude,” he looked at me as if i was dumb, “you have your first practice in half an hour.”

I completely forgot about football and jumped up liked a spring. I went to get ready, I

didn’t even respond to my brother.

You might be wondering why this was so important to me. You see i’m the youngest of three.I

have a brother who is 15 and a brother who is 18 and i am 14. My brothers are smart and athletic. As

for me, not so much. I am not the type of person to get straight A’s or the type of person who can run a

mile in 6 minutes but my brothers are. A lot of people expect me to be like them but i honestly don’t I

think i can live up to these expectations.

The first thing I did to try to prove that I was at least a little bit like my brothers was joining football. The

coach liked my brothers so he kinda knew who I was already. Football wasn’t as bad as I

thought it would be. For the first half of my summer, I had conditioning for football and it was going

pretty good but every once and awhile, I would mess up. I don’t like messing up because when i mess

up i would be hard on myself.

I never liked messing up. If I messed up I would tell myself you’re an embarrassment and you

are a loser. It could be something little I messed up on but i would feel like i am worthless like I can

never do anything right. No matter how much I failed or how much i doubted himself, I would never

quit. I would get right back up and try again.

But during the summer is when i realized i messed up bad. I saw my grades from 8th grade. I

had no A’s and no B’s. i had C’s and D’s. i felt weak when i saw those grades. My whole body was

numb. I told my family and they were not happy. My mom was angrier than a bull at a bullfight. She

even said she would take out of football if I didn’t bring my grades up but instead I got everything else

taken away from me. My room was an electronic ghost town.

After i had all my things taken away and school started. I started to study right after practice. I

didn’t even shower I went straight to studying. I would smell like sweat and i would look all beat up

with bruises scratches but that didn’t stop me. Then after a couple of weeks I looked at my grades and

saw that i am doing really good in my classes. Every test i had done so far was an A. Why was i

getting good grades? It was at that moment i realized was the little things that mattered.

I had to stop focusing on the big picture and i had to start paying close attention to the little

details. I was doing better in school because i focused on the little things like studying a little bit

everyday, moving to the front of my classes and doing homework. You can’t make a big house without

small bricks.

I started doing the little things in every aspect of my life. When I would go to football practice

I wouldn’t just focus on the tackle, I would focus on how to tackle and if i had to block i would focus

on the best way to block. Doing the little things like that made me a better football player.

I am a better person now that i focused on the little things. I don’t do a lot of things without

paying attention to the little details. I don’t messed up a lot anymore. I don’t think i am a screw up

anymore. I think i am a better person and i am living up to the expectations set by my brothers, friends,

and family.

i hope people will learn that you have to focus on the little things and not the big picture.