A Tale of Two Cities | Teen Ink

A Tale of Two Cities

October 10, 2016
By Imaadrahimi BRONZE, Dublin, California
Imaadrahimi BRONZE, Dublin, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was around Christmas time, down broadway avenue was all the rich houses and you could already see that they were getting their decorations ready. It’s been about a week or two of December and it started to snow a little bit. The frosty white snowflakes fell down from the sky freezing the air up which explains all the bundled up and cozy clothes that people have been wearing lately. Now on the other side of the town is the apartments and the one story houses that look beat up. The streets are trashy and dirty and the apartments are really small. Barely any people have their decorations up for Christmas. The snow on this side is not really white once it hits the ground, the ground is all wet and dirty from all the snow and dirt around this area.
Now, my name is Annie I live in a city that basically has two sections a poor section and a rich section, I live in the poor section. I’ve lived here most of my life because i was born into poverty so I'm used to this lifestyle of being poor. Once in awhile I go into the rich section and just watch the kids and their lifestyles and think how lucky they are. I’m about to turn twelve in January so I’m really excited for my birthday because every year  on that day I don’t have any chores to do and i'm allowed to go outside and buy a few items. I usually like to go buy some treats for myself because that's all i can really afford. I live in a foster home which means i'm not the only one in this house. There are seven other girls and one boy that also live here which means lots of sharing with like literally everything. Our foster parent is Ms. Ray her first name is Angela her name may seem nice but she isn’t at all she constantly has us do her chores for her and we don’t have much freedom so i try to get outside as much as I can.
It's been about 11 years that i have been trying to get adopted. So far it hasn't been working out which is very unfortunate. It all started one day when i was walking around and i saw one of those rich kids and decided maybe i should go talk to her. I started to talk to her and she seemed like a wonderful person she even told me that i seemed like i lived on the rich side. We actually started to become really good friends and that's when my life started to change. Everyday after school my friend and i would meet and talk about our day. Her name was Janet, she was such a sweet girl and she was an only child and really wished she had a sibling. Everything was going well between me and Janet it was like i had a sister.
Then one day i got the news that Janet’s parents are willing to adopt me. They came to the foster home and had a meeting with Ms. Ray. Ms. Ray told them all the processes if they were to adopt me. It was like my whole life was about to change and i will feel like i have a sister now. A couple weeks went by which made me nervous because it made it seem like Janet’s parents didn’t really want to adopt me. Janet and i were still talking after school and she started to act weird i was getting really nervous. Then one day Ms. Ray called me into her office which was kinda unusual because that never happens really. Then i got the news that had changed my life forever she told me that Janet’s parents have decided to adopt me. I was so happy it was like my heart was about to burst out of my chest. The next week later i moved into Janet’s room and we shared rooms which i was totally fine with. I got my own room and life was just perfect. Then i was thinking of all this time it took to get here and the pain and struggle i have been going through. After that day i was so grateful and my life was doing so much better and i was finally able to relax.


The author's comments:

None