Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.

EnglishLove said...
This an absolute piece of work.  You have touch the ultimate sense of a human struggling with the beast we know as "CANCER"!  As a surviver, you have truly shared the undescribable feelings a cancer patient feels when dealing with such a "BEAST"! Kudos!!!

starfishgurl BRONZE, Dgsdfh, Mississippi
This was amazing. But amazing is not a good enough adjective to describe it. I wanted to read more! More, more, more! Please, keep doing what you just did. If you expanded this piece into a novel, I'd buy it for sure!

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

"Let your mind sart a journey through a strange new world..."

I can't choose the right words to describe how great this is.

iluvnacho PLATINUM, Somewhere, Colorado

\"Find the beauty in the ugly\"-Jason Mraz 5-19-10
\"Be kinder than nessicary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.\" Unknown 11-29-10

Abslutley beautiful.

serena SILVER said...
serena SILVER, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

"its better to burn out then fade away." -Kurt Cobian ♥

i kept thinking from the beginning maby she was abused but then i kept wondering and it was cancer i loved it KEEP WRITINGGG

Kicon BRONZE said...
Kicon BRONZE, Klamath Falls, Oregon

"Never say goodbye. Because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting." ~Peter Pan

This story is so emotional and I really enjoyed it.  Great writing.  I especially like the first paragraph; it drew me in and made me wonder, "What's wrong?"

PianoGirl said...
I love this story. Very genuine, and the story is great. Please write more!

mikky said...
very nicely done. i liked how you didnt just say from the start that the girl had cancer.the title fists gr8 with the story..thanks 4 sharring.

Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful PLATINUM, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

When life gives you lemons make grape juice. Then sit back and watch everyone look at you in amazement. :)

Very nicely written! Keeps people wondering for a while WHY she had bruises and hair missing. Good job! :)

-Lilac

HelloLove said...
HelloLove, Dexter, Michigan

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you're at.
-Hatter
Tut, tut, child! Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.
-Dutchess

beautifuly written!

potterlight PLATINUM, Cleveland, Ohio

That makes sense

that was beautiful! I love the set-up and the ending. keep it up!

accio-sarcasm, Nunya Effin Business, Other

"To the well organized man, death is but the next great adventure."
-Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

"There's nothing wrong with you. There's just a lot wrong with the world you live in."
-Chris Colfer

THIS STORY MAKES MINE LOOK LIKE GARBAGE!!! AMAZING

-Chris Colfer

Y MAKESThis sto

Brynn BRONZE said...
Brynn BRONZE, Aubrey, Texas

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~Bilbo Baggins

I like it.

AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona

"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

Me too, I thought the story was about an anorexic for a while, there!

KK2013 GOLD said...
KK2013 GOLD, Solon, Ohio

Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.-J. K. Rowling

Wow, that was good! I am actually working on a piece with the same title! funny, right? 

I liked how you kept us guessing at what was wrong, cuz at first I thought she was in an abusive relationship, then an eating disorder, then I just wasnt sure. 

I like how you included the "i love you" parts, that was really meaningful and deep.

iwanttobeforeveryoung GOLD, Forest Hills, New York

"When the power of lover overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Wow!  I loved how you diverted the reader's attention. 

NeverFallTooHard PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin

Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.~ Rumi
Realisim, in painting, is what one wants to see, not what they really see. ~ Janet Fish

You're really good at writting. First I thought she was abused. But then, about not pulling the sleves up fartther... is she a 'cutter'? Just A thought. And then I though cancer after the throwing-up thing. I know this girl who's in 5th grade and went through it. She was really sick but then she came to run the mile anyway, and then she threw up alot after that. I felt bad for her.... but, you know, if she isn't aking for pitty, don't give it to her! She's one of my closest friends now. =3

chartothalatte GOLD, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
really good. i don't think you should have said what her condition was because i started off thinking cancer, and then i thought eating disorder, but then it said cancer and... yeah. if ya hadn't included that, it would have been more mysterious. i still really enjoyed this one. 5 stars 'n faved! (:

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
This was really good, but until they said cancer I thought it was about eating disorders, since it fit perfectly. But not giving it away right away might be a good thing.