Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.

Auburn-Morrow PLATINUM, Canton, Georgia

Life Takes its toll, please have exact change.

I liked how this girl a person usually pities, kind of freaked me out. She reminded me of a sinister evil, how she loves the fact everyone thinks she's so perfect when she's not, like she has this big secret and that makes her better than anyone, but that's only if she's unwell... I don't know. It's just the impression I got. I still liked it though. Five stars :D

LexiB SILVER said...
LexiB SILVER, Tallassee, Alabama

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go."

Joshua 1:9

Wow. This is one of my favorite stories I've read so far on Teen Ink. Great job! Will you check out my work?

WhiteShadows said...
WhiteShadows, Ocala, Florida

You've gotta work like you don't need the money/love like you'll never be hurt/
Sing like no one is listening/ and live like it's heaven on Earth.-Anonymous

This is really good, but I almost cried at the end! Only the best writers can trigger emotions like that. Five stars for you!

dancergirl3 BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan

If you enjoy dancing, show it. If you like danicing, belive it. If you love dancing, live it.
-Anonymous

I love this story! It is sad though! It makes me want to cry sort of! :( It's very well written though! nicely done! :))))))))))))))

SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

I know me too! It was like exactly the same as anerexia, but then I thought something was a little off when the girl said she was dying and her mom denied it. That would probably never happen to a real person with anerexia. I like this a lot!

xprezzionheart, Jeffersonville, Kentucky

In a world full of cheerios, dare to be a Frootloop

i can relate to the character in this. i dont have cancer, but i always try to be perfect for everyone. i LOVED this!!!! a Great Read for any one          Xprezz OUT!

DaydreamBeliever GOLD, Lockport, Other

If you live to be one hundred, I want to live to be one hundred minus one day, so that I'll never have to live without you. -Winnie the Pooh

yeah, i though the same thing. very good :)

HarleyPettis PLATINUM, Lawton, Oklahoma

~ Don't hate, appreciate ~

Wow that's a really good story. I almost started crying.

Curly_Sue said...
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
this is really good. at first i thought it was about anorexia but then i read the cancer part. Very well written. I appluade you! :D

Ashley97 BRONZE, Noord, Other

To write is to express your inner thoughts through your imagination.

Amazing writing. Great story and well detailed. Applause. Please check out some of mine, I'd be very greatful.

yogagurl BRONZE, Marathon, Florida

"A true friend is somene who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

whoa! so so cool! sad but i really loved it! really goood writing too!

AussiMusicLover BRONZE, Central Coast, Other

When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams
The hottest love has the coldest end.
Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop
Falling in love is awfully simple, but falling out of love is simply awful.

WOW!! that story is brilliant!! wonderfully writtin.. i love how you made a girl with cancer be perfect!

communicativedistractions PLATINUM, Fall City, Washington

"I miss you like an alcoholic misses toothpaste."

wow! My grandmother actually just found out that she has cancer and i guess this kind of tells me how she feels; it fits. Thanks for writing :)

Runner4Ever said...
Runner4Ever, Bruceton Mills, West Virginia

"The Only Thing We Have to fear Is fear Itself"
Live Laugh Love
Whatever That Was That Was SOOOO Not A Crumb!

This was a greatly written story! It was really sad and I thought it was about an eating disorder at first but it was really cancer. its really sad to think that cancer is a real thing and it really does this to people!

yea.. i thought the same. it was so sad. :(

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

This was really very good!

I did think it was about an eating disorder at first, but it was cancer.

Either way, it's an awful, sad situation.

<3 I Rock <3 said...
ya same here its very touching

<3 I Rock <3 said...
this story has to be one of the best storys i have ever read i gave you every star there is instead of 5

simply-drey BRONZE, Lahaina, Hawaii

"I live in a crazy time." -Anne Frank

this was a very touching story. i think that describes the life of any1 with cancer. u want to be as same as every1 else and not any different

Musicandlove BRONZE, Lonerville, New Jersey

"As artists paint on canvas, musicians paint on silence."

wow, this is sooo amazing and touching. read my 'the Dance' please. your an amazinngggg writer id love to hear feedbackk<3