O'po-niho-awa's Surf Trip | Teen Ink

O'po-niho-awa's Surf Trip

May 27, 2016
By jtopic9 BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
jtopic9 BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

O’po-niho-awa’s Surf Trip

O’po-niho-awa, a young hawaiian, woke up to the sound of the waves crashing at his dock by his house.  The morning Hawaiian sun enveloped everything in a soft rosy glow.  O’po-niho-awa stood up, stretched his back, and looked out the window.  His boat was stopped at his wooden dock.  Waves crashing, wood creaking, O’po-niho-awa heard as he peered into the distance.  The smell of salt filled the air.
“What a great day to go surfing.” O’po-niho-awa said to himself.
O’po-niho-awa went downstairs to eat his breakfast.  His reddish-brown hair grew back from his forehead.  His grey-blue eyes were set onto a deeply tan face.
Once O’po-niho-awa finished his breakfast: a blueberry muffin.  He grabbed his surfboard, threw it in his van, and drove off.  O’po-niho-awa headed for his favorite surfing spot: Paia.  He enjoyed surfing there because the surf was good, and it wasn’t crowded like the other surfing spots on Maui.
O’po-niho-awa slipped on his wetsuit and headed towards the beach.  His surfboard was a orange, yellow, with a white stringer,  Xanadu The Chase surfboard.  O’po-niho-awa had had it ever since he had lived in Maui.  O’po-niho-awa set his board in the water and started paddling away from shore. He paddled to the break and stopped, waiting for a big wave to catch.  O’po-niho-awa’s eyes were red from all of the salt water.
Then O’po-niho-awa saw a crystal wave, big and powerful.  He turned around and started paddling toward shore.
O’po-niho-awa waited until the wave was almost on him when he stood up.  He aligned his feet on the stringer of his board, and rode the wave back to the shore.
When O’po-niho-awa got home the evening Hawaiian sun enveloped everything in a soft rosy glow.   His boat was stopped at his wooden dock.   The smell of salt filled the air.