Tradition Lasts a Lifetime | Teen Ink

Tradition Lasts a Lifetime

By heatonkasey BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa
heatonkasey BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa

“Are you ready for some basketball?   Welcome everyone to the Wells Fargo Arena,” filled the arena as Father Collision came over the speakers at the state basketball tournament.  Goosebumps running through everyone’s veins listening to the deep voice.  Every year many spectators come from all around the state to watch high quality basketball.  The year 1997 marked a start of a new era for a Sioux City man.  Kevin went to the state tournament to watch basketball powerhouse West High Wolverines led by Kirk Hinrich.  Who would've known that eighteen years later Kevin would still be witnessing the great basketball and the same ole’ delicious snacks. 
As March comes around Kevin, a avid basketball fanatic, checks on all of the potential teams that could make it to the state tournament.  He would always get anxious about going and when his kids got to a certain age he often brought them along for the journey.  His son, Kyle, would be the first to make the trip then after a couple years his younger brother Kasey, who loves basketball just as much as Kyle, gets the invite.  The kids would always have to make sure they didn't have activities and their grades were in standing condition.  Kevin didn't want to receive a call while in Des Moines about current grades of his kids.  Snow would fall and sometimes even threaten the trip from being made but has not actually ever done so.  As the kids get out of school early to make sure they make the start of the one o'clock game, they instantly become bored of sitting in a car for three hours and having to do all their boring homework teachers gave them.  As soon as they get to Des Moines they go straight to the arena, so they don't miss any of the action.  Usually hungry, Kevin will give money to the kids to go get some treats, but would say not to eat to much since they would be going to their favorite restaurant later that night, Jethro's. 
Day one comes and goes sitting on the soft, cushioned seats, but by the end of the night the feeling of bleacher butt.  They make their way back to the hotel, unwind, and go to bed to make sure they got the rest needed to be ready to go by nine o'clock, so they could make it in time for the warm and delicious breakfast that ended at nine-thirty.  Waffles and sausage would fill their stomachs to get them through lunch, which usually would be eaten on their way back from seeing their aunt Mary who lived in Des Moines.  Once they got back to the hotel, a cold, long walk would be made to go get the tickets for the next session of basketball.  Another long day of watching around six games would come to a close with also another possible stop at Jethro's in between the action. 
Friday rolls along nearing the end of the trip.  The guys felt fat from sitting for four days straight with little to any exercise and a whole bunch of junk food from which they have consumed.  Sixteen or so games of basketball watched and analyzed, many of new friends made, and bonding time with each other the three make their way back to Sioux City already excited to go back and do the exact same thing again next year.