Take Your Place | Teen Ink

Take Your Place

January 6, 2016
By Sedgecomb BRONZE, Santa Barbara, California
Sedgecomb BRONZE, Santa Barbara, California
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” -Virginia Woolf


She walked down the hallway, heart pounding in her chest. Every move she made brought her closer to her fate, her future. Her throat closing up, she breathed out in short nervous rasps. It was her turn now, her moment to take her place. Everything surrounding her, from the cool granite floors to the high ceilings seemed surreal and different, from the comforting feeling the palace one gave.
Her hands twitched nervously, fingers clenched tightly as was to fight an invisible enemy. Sounds, not fully registering in her buzzing mind, came from the other side of the doors that were slowly coming closer. Two men, holding their rifles tightly, followed silently behind her. Their presence prevented her from turning, turning and running back to her room and the safety she was about to leave behind. She looked back at the soldiers, her pace not slowing no matter how much she willed it to. They looked polished and stiff and if they were little toy dolls, new on the shelf. The girl looked away, she felt like a doll as well. Little heels clicking on the smooth marble, she made the finals steps to reach the doors. Chin tilted slightly up in defiance, she looked emotionless, her face a blank face giving nothing away. Heart racing as if it would pop out of her chest, she waited patiently, secretly willing the doors not to open.
The doors made a loud creak and the girl breathed in, thoughts ceasing as she focused ahead of her. At once, thousands of gazes fell upon her, and the girl forced herself to look forward, not returning a single one. She pushed her legs, shaky underneath her, to move forward.  Willing herself not to cry, the girl straightened her posture, took a breath, and walked through.