Harmless Pedestrian | Teen Ink

Harmless Pedestrian

By comacozi SILVER, Vernon, Texas
comacozi SILVER, Vernon, Texas

"At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet" - Plato

Just a harmless pedestrian, I though to myself. There he was…just walking down the street like everybody else. My eyes would have wondered off this customary image had it not manage to stain my vision. Something about him caught my eye and held it. His eyes were looking directly into mine…they opened up to a world of soul bearing pain that I couldn’t even imagine existed. The havoc and the burden pervaded me. It burned every inch of my existence…His face was stricken with a numb alibi of vacuity. What a lie it was!

If one could only reach out a touch him and be the indication that other emotions were attainable…that another life was in the horizons and that there was more that this world had to offer. But of course, he was still walking with his essence set to fire by the world’s worst arsons - us. No one bothered to try to help undo the wrong that was done or move him with their kindness, for he was a stranger and the opinion was strong on mind. What would he might think?

My eyes fell to his feet wondering if he was sure of where the path led him. I wondered what road he was on and how many turns he had to face. I pondered on what exactly made this person who he was. I noted stability all about him only to be shattered by those eyes that made his act tremble with propaganda.

It made me wonder if the world was just a pitiful, helpless stage…if all I had ever seen was an illusion based on the opinions of us… Maybe there was a beast of falsehood that lingered over all of our shoulders. Maybe this harmless pedestrian was the head of the cast…and maybe we were all a lie.

I took a breath…It was just a harmless pedestrian.