Blurry Vision | Teen Ink

Blurry Vision

I shivered. There was an old couple sitting by the freezing lake, and they were looking out the vast body of water in their heavy jackets. I swallowed, only sending shivers down my body to accompany the saliva. I could see the morning sun rise behind the small wooden cabin, the freshly fallen snow all around, and the ruffles in the blanket as my brother got up from his bed.
     “Why are you up so early?” my brother said, half asleep.
     “I just couldn’t go to sleep, I guess.”
     “Well, it’s probably your stomach problem.”
     “It’s more serious than you think. I’ve thrown up three times in the last 24 hours.”
     It was the third day that I was in a snow resort with my family, and my case had started just two days ago. But I was having fun here. And that was the only thing that kept my mind away from my stomach. I had to go inside.
     I cramped over the chair, thinking about my case. Only 2 more weeks, then you’ll be fine, I thought. But my case was just getting worse.
     “Hey, wanna go outside?” my brother asked, crashing into the cabin.
     I just stood there, thinking about my options when I finally said, “Yeah sure, let me just go to the bathroom real quick.”
     I leaned over the toilet, waiting. I could see the bright light bulbs get refracted against the wavy toilet water. It was just a few more seconds, and then my body sent regurgitated food skewing out of my mouth in fifty different parts.
     “Darn it. I missed,” I mumbled.
     I had immediately started to think about how I was going to tell my parents. I started to imagine us at the wooden table at the corner of the cabin, and me having to tell my mom and my dad. The only expression I expect is that of shock mixed with disgust, and they both simultaneously pointing out that I should’ve rested. I mean, I could just avoid this conversation in a whole, but someone’s going to go into the bathroom and see the throw up stains overlapping as time continues.
     I stepped out of the room, taking a deep breath to get away from the horrid stench. The chandelier that hung over the two queen size beds, and my sleeping parents, swayed as the wind flew into the cabin through the open door. I could already see my brother building what looked like a pathetic snowman outside. I guess I could join him, because I was acting like I could do better, which both him I knew that I couldn’t.
     My feet trudged through the fresh, deep snow. I looked to my right to see the old couple gone, revealing the true beauty of the lake with mountains as its background. There was a big area in front of the cabin, enough room to do all sorts of activities.
     I wished that I had worn a jacket, and although I was barely outside of the cabin, my jacket was crushed somewhere in the suitcase by my temporary bed, so the woolen sweater which I was wearing had to do. I hesitated a bit, as my natural instinct told me to go back, but by this point I was fully outside, embracing the morning sun which was now traversing upwards.
     My brother came up to me, looking like the yeti with the amount of snow he had tracked onto his jacket.
     “C’mon, let’s go!” he shouted, even though we were just two feet apart.
     “No, I’m not feeling good, I think I’m going to go back inside,” I replied, with an uneasy feeling.
     As of now, my ears were already frozen, and my legs felt like they were collapsing. I should’ve rested. I should’ve listened to my parents. I took enormous breaths, but that wasn’t enough. I started to run, but that just slowed me down. I could see the doorway of the cabin and the swaying of the chandelier.  I looked back to see my brother, but this time there were two of them. I lost feeling in my body, as shivers traveled up and down, and as a numb feeling covered my limbs. And with that, I fell. This time, my sickness got me. This time, my gastroenteritis got me.
     I woke up with a jolt. I was sitting in my bed, but this time, at home. I looked up, expecting to see that same recurring sight of the chandelier, but I was somewhat disappointed when I didn’t.
     “We had to leave early because of you. By the way, you fainted,” my brother said, popping out very vigorously.
     I sighed, taking in everything. My memory was still hazy, and it took me time to recover what was even going on. I wiggled my fingers, just to make sure that they weren’t still somehow numb. Right after that thought, I automatically started to think about how my parents were going to tell me off about this whole drama.
     “You know what? I think I’m going to go back to sleep,” I said, acting very tired.
And with that, I collapsed on my bed with a small smirk, as I thought of how silly I was to not trust my parents’ and my instinct.

The fact that I had fainted despite my parents and my mind advising me not to taught me that no matter what age or level you are at, first instincts are always a must in your sucess.