Fallen Angels | Teen Ink

Fallen Angels

By MVReverie GOLD, Arlington, Texas
MVReverie GOLD, Arlington, Texas

I can't drown my demons; they know how to swim.

Her face looked broken in that moment. The moment the words came out of the man’s mouth, her face lost the shine, the beautiful radiance she always had. Instead, it held the pain of a mourning mother, the face of a shattered parent. She felt the pain in her chest; it suffocated her, held her against her own will. It held her breath hostage, she was unable to take it anymore. She saw the man’s lips tighten, forming his face into one filled with pity, his eyes downcast.

The words rang out in her head, “Ma’am, your son’s dead.”

Well, I don't really know why I wrote this. I wanted to write something sad, but I never actually expectedto write this.

ellwist SILVER said...
on Nov. 23 2015 at 1:23 am
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

"They only let you be this happy when they're preparing to take something from you." -Khaled Hosseini, the Kite Runner.

You don't know how much I love little drabbles. This is just the perfect one, as it both describes the heartbreak of a single moment in less than two hundred words. It's like looking at a stranger on the street and watching a flicker of a story inside their eyes, and honestly too many writers fall for the 'more is more' trick. Loved this--great job.