My New House In the Woods | Teen Ink

My New House In the Woods

By mgilly16 BRONZE, Hamilton, Ohio
mgilly16 BRONZE, Hamilton, Ohio

I got up bright and early on a tuesday morning. I had left my bedroom window open all night, and it was about 40 degrees in there. Well that is because I was moving that day. I am moving to Maine, for a job opening. I was up around 5:30, so I could get all ready for the moving truck. I went to the Ross bakery, and got a dozen donuts, for $2.49. The moving truck was going to show up at 10 o'clock, and it was 9:30 before I call up everyone I knew, and well that is only about five people. Because as you know I was in college, and college students do not really have friends, we just go to school.  When they get to my apartment, I told them that I need to move everything out in one day. So friday rolls around, and I end up in Maine. This place was like the white house, six bedrooms, five and a half baths, and a three car garage. Along that the drive way is a half a mile long with a sixteen foot tall barn at the end. Inside the barn there are four, two thousand lumen light, that make the barn light up like the sun. They say the barn is 16 feet tall, but there is some crawl space up top with A/C units and heat ducts in it. The whole property is about 250 acres big, and about 200 is all fields and woods. Around 11 o'clock or so the moving truck showed up. When we were all done moving, of what I think that all of my stuff filled up about one third of the whole house. I was just in all of how big the house was, that I hopped onto my 4-wheeler, and went out and surveyed my land. I called up my friend to come with me. He lives the next farm over and was there in a blink of an eye. We both went down to the creek and I would not believe what I saw sitting right there in the middle of the trail. I have done some trail riding befor, but not any trails this rough. I have gone around the country to different states and done trail riding, but mostly the moderate stuff. I have also done trail riding in competitions, of course that was easy trails. Nick and i got off our quads, and he said “what the heck is all of this s*** in our way, all I want to do is ride. But no, now we have to go back to the barn and get the tractor and the skidsteer to fix up the trail. What a waste of my damn time”. I said “ hold on, hold on. If we just work together, then we can get this done in about 30 minutes to an hour. Ok you good now”. “ Yes I am good now let's get this done”.  and went to look at the debris that was in our way of riding. There were rocks as big as my quad, just sitting right there in the middle of the trail. Mud pits six feet deep, and 150 feet tall ash trees that have fallen down in the trail path. So, we turned around and went back to the barn. The owner that lived there before me, was old and could not work anymore. So, the family sold all of the machinery with the house and farm. I jumped up on the skidsteer and took off like a bat out of hell, so i could continue my riding of the property. It was a nice brand new 2015 New Holland c238 skid steer. November in Maine, is a little on the chilly side. And the tractor was had a cab on it,  so it had heat, air conditioning, and a radio. I had the heat cranked up to about, o lets say around 75 to 80 degrees. We get down the the creek, and I grabbed up a bucket load of gravel and took it over to the mud pit, and started to fill it up. I would say it took Nick and I about 5 bucket fulls to full up that damn hole.

After that big fuss was all over, Nick and I could finally get started on moving and cutting up the tree in our way. Nick just started cutting it into firewood lengths, and throwing them into the skid steer bucket. I told Nick that this wood could be used to heat up my office/barn, because the only heat source is by the wood stove that is like as old as dinosaurs. Before i knew it, it was getting dark out so we took all of the equipment back to the barn to put it away, so we could go in and get some supper. Now, you got to remember that i am a single male living on my own. So, it one do not have much food on hand, and two I am probably one of the laziest men on earth. Nick said that for a welcoming gift, that he would take me out for some dinner at a nice ass restaurant. We sit down and start to talking and order our food, and out of the blue he said, “do I know you?”, and I said “ya i think I do know you from somewhere, but I just can not roll it off of my tongue”. And we are talking about our childhood, and where we grew up and all, and he said that he grew up in, out of all places, little podunk Oxford, Oh. I said “no way, hells bells me too”. And it comes out to be that we went to church together, and his dad used to help out my grandpa out on his far, that we had a small farm house on it. When we left the good smelling texas roadhouse, we were walking out to the car and these kids walked up to us. They asked us it we wanted anything special. “No I do not want any of your weed” I said. As soon as they walked up to us, I could smell the weed on them, and I knew that they wanted to sell us some drugs. Right then and there I told Nick to call the cops. I had Nick take me back home, and i felt good about being home and resting in my own home, and my own bed. Monday morning came around and before I knew it, it was time to get ready for my interview with my new job. The new job i was taking up was a wildlife agent. The interview I thought went very well, and before I got home and sat down, my phone started to ring. And you would not guess who it was. The guy I did my interview with. We were doing some small talk, and he told me I go the job. I almost jumped out of my pants because i was so happy. He also told me that l started my training on Tuesday. I woke up tuesday morning, to get ready for work, and it had been snowing overnight. I took a look at the thermometer, and it read 28 degrees. I popped into my camo coveralls, and my brown justin work boots, and went outside to start feeding my animals. The reed was left on my pickup truck. I had just got the truck before i moved from Ohio. it was painted midnight black, with a black flatbed. black rims and tires, and the last black thing on it was black running boards. The interior was gray with dark blue pinstripe on the seat. There were subwoofers under the bench seat in the back seat, and they were all hooked up to a 2016 aftermarket radio. The first day that I got the truck I put led lights on it. Two in the front and two in the back. The lights have eight different bulbs in it, for 1000 lumens, and they shine 30 feet. It was a custom made f-350 flatbed, with dual tires in the back, and I had them put a superduty powerstroke, 24 valve, turbo diesel.