The Nice One | Teen Ink

The Nice One

By Abigail_burms BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
Abigail_burms BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana

It’s been twenty-four hours since the recent one. That one was the worst. Blood was everywhere. This is impossible. We haven’t gotten any closer to solving anything. All we know is every twenty-four hours there is a new one. We can’t keep up. We call her the “nice one”.  Mostly because when she kills, she always leaves another clue for us, but none of them help. She hasn’t given much information about her yet but we have one finger print, a pacifier that was left at one of the scenes, and a blanket. We also know she has a son. She left a birth certificate at the first crime scene. No name, just the birthdate.
    “Another call guys, let’s head out,” said Chief with a disappointment in his voice.
    “Okay, I got to go grab my gear. Give me a second,” I said
             I already had my gear, but I just needed a minute to think. I will find this woman if it’s the last thing I do. She needs to be put away for what she has done
    “Hurry up, we have to go, Anna.” said Katy, the newbie around here.
    “I know, newbie.”
    “I have been here for a couple months now. When are you going to stop calling me that?”
    “Probably in a couple years”
    “You should stop now.”
    “Everyone had to go through this, Chief still calls me newbie.”
    “Okay.”
    “Let’s get going newbie.”
    Katy glared as she picked up her gun. Then we headed out the door prepared and worried for what was to come.

We get to the scene and can’t believe what we are looking at and smelling. The scene had been there for about two days. The air was horrific. It was a baby and a mother. The mother was shot and still alive. But the baby was stabbed three times in the heart section. The mother had to watch her baby get stabbed. The baby was about two days old. The mother was horrified. We had to do follow procedure and ask questions to the depressed mother. As we went up to her, we could smell that she hasn’t showered in a couple days and her bullet wound hadn’t healed. She won’t let anyone examine it and help her with the pain.
                “Excuse me miss, we have a few questions if you don’t mind.”
                “I don’t want to talk about it.” She said with her face down and arms crossed.
                “Don’t you want us to find the killer and put an end to this?”
                “I guess. You have ten minutes and then I need to nap.”
                “Did you see the person's face?” I asked.
                “Before you ask all these questions, I would like to know your name please.”
                “It’s Anna. Now, did you see the person's face at all or any physical features?”
                “I saw hair but she had her face covered by a mask. She had a tattoo and I think it was of a date.”
                “What date was it?”
                “I can’t remember.”
                “Did this woman say anything to you?”
                “Yes, She kept saying M.B. over and over again.”
                “Okay, thank you for your time.”
                The mother slowly walked into her house and closed the door behind her.  We are so close to solving this case. We now know initials. M.B. I wonder what it stands for. Maybe its her baby’s name. Let’s call Robert and see if he has anything.
                “What’s cooking squad?”
                “Do you have anything on M.B?”
                “There are 200 babies born with the initials M.B. in Georgia born on September thirty first and 123 of them are boys.”
                “Go through all of them and see which ones have a mother with a criminal record and is in there twenties.”
                “You got it.”
                We hang up and start to head back to headquarters.
                “Anna?” Katy yells from the back seat.
                “Yes Newbie?”
                “The date could be the baby’s birthday.”
                “Possibly could, but we don’t know for sure.”
    As we pull into headquarters we get another call. There is someone in the warehouse downtown and has a gun pointed at the Mayor of Indianapolis.
    “Come on guys we have to hurry!” Chief yelled like we were a mile away.
    We rush over there and see fourteen cop cars in the driveway and an ambulance. We started to head to the warehouse entrance. All was locked and so we had to make an entrance to get in and that's too risky so we need to hear their conversation. We got our gear and set it up so we could see everything that went on.
    “Please let me go!” The mayor yells.
    “Give me back my son or I will kill you.” She yells
    “We have to get in there!”I yell.
We set up the lock combination code device and barge in. A women has the gun pointed at the Mayor with a tightened grip.
    “Why are you doing this?!” The mayor screamed.
    “I know you have him!” she yelled.
    “Calm down please, and put down the gun.” I said.
    “I have to kill him.” She said as she started to sob.
    “Lets think about this, even if you kill him you will still not be able to get away. You are surrounded.” 
    “I need my son.”
    “We will find him, but only if you put down the gun.”
    She starts to put down the gun. Katy goes over and takes it from her. The women looks devastated. She breaks down into tears and falls to the ground.
    “Get up.” The cop who looks like he needs ten more hours of sleep says.
    “I can’t, I’m sick.” She sobs.
    She gets dragged to the cop car and we let the mayor go and ask him some questions while Robert looks up M.B. RINGGGGG RINGGGGG. My phone goes off.
    “Hello.”
    “I got some news.” Robert says.
    “What do you got?”
    “M.B. stands for Mary Beth and she has stage four cancer. The husband is… Oh my gosh… it's the Mayor…”
    No one can believe it as we look over at the Mayor. He looks innocent. We go over to ask some questions after we thank Robert for the news.
    “Do you know who that woman is?” I ask playing dumb.
    “I’ve never seen her.”
    “You want to answer these questions wisely Mayor.”
    “She’s my wife..”
    “Did you leave her after you found out she had cancer and take the baby sir?
    “No, she left me because I had no time for her and the baby.”
    “Do you have the baby?”
    “Yes.” The Mayor says with depression in his voice.
    “Why?”
    “He was my baby too and she just can’t take off like that with my baby. I needed him in my life. He was the only person that will love me for who I am. Mary Beth never did.”
    “Where is this baby?”
    “With my mother is California…”
    “Okay.”
    We head to the car and we all know that he is lying so we make a plan. We are gonna follow him while he makes his way “home.” He will obviously go straight to the baby. We decide to follow at a distance. We were right. He drives straight past his house and towards the nursery down the street. We park and go inside and we see him kissing another woman. She hands him the baby. We step in and he starts to run with the baby. We catch him and get the baby.
    “You have the right to remain silent…..”
    At the end of the day everyone goes to bed. RINGGG, RINGGG. I look at the time and its 3:09am.
    “Hello.”
    “Another murder.”
    “On my way sir.”
I never get a break. But that’s part of the job.                                                                                            Mary was really brave to do what she did but the only questions are is why kill other people if your main subject is the Mayor her husband. M.B. went to jail for ten years and was reunited with her son. Her son stayed with M.B.’s mother, and the Mayor disappeared with the woman we saw him with in the nursery and now we have a new Mayor. Michelle. She’s nice. I just hope she doesn’t have a crazy spouse like the last one.