Is He Still Innocent? | Teen Ink

Is He Still Innocent?

By V0LA7ILE SILVER, Lewisville, Texas
V0LA7ILE SILVER, Lewisville, Texas

This is it. Vince thought to himself as he saw the cleared hallway around the wall. My chance.

The last prison guard he was aware of was knocked out, his guy took care of the cameras and made sure they were on loop. His backup already took care of the officers near the exits and they were keeping watch for any others who come near the building. From here on out it should be a smooth escape.

Still, he took a deep breath before turning the corner, gripping his tranquilizer gun tightly, keeping his silent pistol pocketed, for use in a desperate situation only. He was innocent. But all evidence pointed to his guiltiness. Nothing but lies.

In the background he could hear the prisoners causing havoc within their cells, raising their voices, like the caged animals they were.

“Ok.” He said aloud as he took the first step to turn along the wall. He took his first step with trepidation, “This all seems to easy so far. Can this really be it?”

Whatever! Get a move on! His conscience shouted at him. And with that his movements quickened. He was about to turn another corner when he thought he saw a shadow move along the wall up ahead, and stopped.

“Lower your weapon!” a shaky disembodied voice called. “N-no.. throw it across from you so I can hear it clatter!”.

Silence.

Not the sound of a tossed tranquilizer, nor the sound of the disembodied voice.

“I will shoot!” confidence was slowly etching its way into the man’s voice.

Who the hell is this guy? He can’t have a gun....unless. Vince gulped. Unless they missed a guy…No..impossible! he worriedly thought.

“Alright! Alright. I’ll toss it.” Vince finally replied. He made a point to throw the tranquilizer directly past the corner where the man was surely hiding.

This is when the unknown man finally appeared around the corner, his gun unholstered, held between his reddenned hands. So he did have a gun.
Vince was surprised, the man in front of his eyes couldn’t even be called a man, he looked like a boy. Young and afraid. Shaking. Sweat lining his scarlet face. He must be a newbie. Even with a gun pointed at him, Vance kept his left hand behind his back, gripping his pistol.

“Put your hands where I can see them!” the boy shouted, his eyes blinking rapidly, as if his constant sweating was stinging them. Vince didn’t move.

And at last, the boy kept his promise and pulled the trigger. He shot Vince on his right thigh, bringing him down straightaway. He shouted momentarily but instantly smothering his scream bit his mouth shut, blood dripping from his lips with his fortified bite.

No! his thoughts shouted. No! This can’t be. I have to get out! He has my family.

His eyes widened with the realization that he would finally put his own pistol to use, and pulled his left hand back out in front of him, gun in sight and trigger pulled back almost immediately.

Thud and clatter is all he heard now as he witnessed the boy go down on the spot. He had shot him in the head, before he could even react to Vince’s movements.

He’s finally done it… He’s finally killed someone. He could see the crimson liquid expand beneath the boy, spreading and spreading, as if were endless.

But it had to be done. He was getting out of this place no matter what, and he was going to find his family. He looked away, and gripping his thigh and dragging himself to the nearest wall, he leaned against it for support and pushed himself up. Limping forward he made his way around, heading toward the exit. This time making sure he had his gun out. Nothing and no one was going to stop him from escaping.

This was actually for an assignment in my Law Enforcement class. We were working on Penal Codes, I signed up for the homicide section... and we were given options on a part of the assignment to present a part of/ parts of the code section in different forms. I chose to write a story. 

starlinelove BRONZE, Chaparral, New Mexico

Life asked Death "why do people love me but Hate you" and death responded " because your are a beautiful lie and I am the painful truth"

this is so touching and it makes me realize the things we do for family for love but is it really the cost of anothers life I honestly thought this was amazing and I cant believe how talented you are this touched and wow your amazing